It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User
lower denture

I had all my upper teath pulled and all but two lower teeth pulled several years ago.The lower two teeth were used as support for my lower denture and I did have the clip ons. Last week they had to pull my last remaining teeth and after reading this board I do not see anyone who has any type of sucess with lowers. I do know my mom and my grandmother did fine but the are no longer with us so I can't ask them how. Any positive stories ?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User
Re: lower denture

Hi! I know that lots of people have trouble with their lower dentures, but I haven't had any problems. They don't fit as well as the uppers because there is no suction. I just use a little adhesive once a day and I am good to go. I am able to eat anything(corn on the cob, apples, steak, carrots).

The only trouble I had was when I first got my dentures. I got a lot more bone spurs on the lower gums, but I don't if that is the norm. I also got more sore spots on the lowers, underneath my tongue. But after my gums were healed I haven't had any problems!

Good luck!! I hope you have an easy time!

Cristie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

Hi - i've had a complete lower denture for 20 years with no problems whatsoever. Don't even need adhesive. Hope all goes well for you also.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #4

JellyBean420 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem
I had all my upper teath pulled and all but two lower teeth pulled several years ago.The lower two teeth were used as support for my lower denture and I did have the clip ons. Last week they had to pull my last remaining teeth and after reading this board I do not see anyone who has any type of sucess with lowers. I do know my mom and my grandmother did fine but the are no longer with us so I can't ask them how. Any positive stories ?
lorriem, sorry to say but my experience hasn't been a good one.
I've had full dentures for a little over 2 yrs. Although my teeth look fabulous, my bottom denture will NOT stay put and it's difficult to eat. I've had two relines and constantly have to use adhesives. I'm contemplating getting lower implants to secure the denture.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:59 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Lowers are much more labor intensive in terms of getting used to. Do not go into this with the idea that failure is the only option. Everyone has a different experience. Mine has been relatively good but it took a lot of work and trial and error, many trips to the dentist for adjustments but I can say it is working well for me. I know of others who have had similar successes.

Adhesives can aid in the adjustment to the lower denture but are no subsitute for a good fitting denture. Hang in there and let us know how we can help you.

The emotional stress of losing the last of your natural teeth can weigh heavy on a person too. Take care and good luck,

Sandy

Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Thankyou all for some hope and yes Sandy I have been bummed out.I just went to the dentist today for my first fitting and next week I will get my uppers relined and see if my lowers are a good fit.My dentist has the lab in his office so any adjustments can be done right away.For my uppers I have been using the powder and not the glue and that for my uppers has always worked great I am rushing him a bit because we have to go away in three weeks but he has assured me all will be fine and I will bring what I am wearing now just in case any sores develop.last week when he pulled the two teath he filled in the two holes and made a soft lining.It is big but in an emergency they will do.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

Ariom HB User

HI there, I too on August 24th am going to be getting full bottom and upper dentures. The are also leaving my two bottom canines, which they have already did root canals on, and they will shave them down to help retain the lower denture. I don't know how that is going to work, but I will see what happens. But I am also thinking about getting an extra 2 mini implants for extra hold.....I am just so frustrated, I just wish I didn't have to deal with the bottoms at all.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Good luck on Aug 24th. That is what they did with my two teeth that I just had pulled and for me it lasted for about 7 years. My problem is I develp a lot of plaque even when I flossed every day and that is why I needed the two remaining teeth pulled. What this dentist said was that I should have had those two teeth cleaned every two months but my old dentist in Ca who did the work said every year.You should do fine with the uppers and with the lowers having the benefit of the extra teeth should not be a problem. Just make sure that the clips work and that the teeth don't come out of the clips to easy.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:44 AM   #9
(female)

Ariom HB User

Good morning and thanks lorriem, I will be very honest, I am a bit scared about the 24th, but it has to be done. At first I was terrified about the gag effect I have always heard people talking about...then getting over that mentally, I started freaking out ahead of time ( because I don't have my dentures yet) about the bottoms falling right out of my mouth while I am talking... But I am looking forward to smiling again. So you think those 2 teeth are really going to help? See...I am so insecure about this entire process. I guess I will just stock up on denture adhesive and glue my mouth shut!!!

Ariom

Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

So you think those 2 teeth are really going to help? See...I am so insecure about this entire process. I guess I will just stock up on denture adhesive and glue my mouth shut!!!

Ariom>>>>>>>

That is the only way to go if you can.Like I said just make sure the clips hold those two teeth firmly. Even if they don't in later years the teeth will act as an anchor. As far as the glue. I never needed them for my lowers but my uppers I use the powder and they do not budge. I will be getting my uppers relined so I wom't need that either but most likely for the lowers I will. I am sure you will not have any problems at all.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #11
(female)

Ariom HB User

Hi lorriem, Thanks for all the great advice..I guess you are right, I am just going to have wait and see and make sure everything fits great. problem is, when they extract the remaining teeth they are putting my immediates in, so I am assuming for the 1st day I won't feel a thing in my mouth. but the moment I do, they better get it right. You mention using powder, I am going to look into that, all I hear about is people using fixadent, or the other brands.

Take care and thanks again...how are your teeth going?

Ariom

Old 08-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Ariom they will get your temps right and if they don't they will adjust them so they are comfy.
I am doing OK my new lowers will be ready in about a week and he keeps adjusting my old ones so they will not hurt.He knows we are going away on the 23rd and he wants to make sure my new lowers will not give me a problem but I told him not to worry since I will be bringing these old ones with me just in case.
Lorrie

Closed Thread