It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
root canal questions

I am very sensitive to odors, chemical, meds in general. When you had your RC did you notice any chemical smells such as bleach or formaldehyde? I have put off having this RC for 2 yrs because of my allergy problems. I have got to get over this fear that the dentist will use or put something in my tooth that will cause me to be sicker than I already am from immune problems. thanks for your comments.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #2

buddee HB User
Re: root canal questions

Sammi -

The dentist, or endodontist, will use several things in your tooth that may have odors you described. Most dentists use a dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite (very watered down bleach) in the tooth to disinfect and kill all the bacteria. When they are filing and shaping the canal, they may use a product called EPTA, which is something that helps to get out any filings and shavings that get stuck inside. This has a distinct odor. When they are filling it up, they will probably use a product called Gutta Percha, which is a blend of rubber and zinc oxide. THe dentist will warm it up to make it soft before it is placed in the tooth. When it cools it hardens up. This has a distinct smell. When they placing the gutta percha, they will probably cement it into place with a special dental cement called zinc eugenol. This has a distinct smell.

The important thing to remember is that the dentist should place something on your tooth called a rubber dam. This completly isolates the area from any outside contamination, but it also protects you from all the things the dentist is using to clean out the infection.

None of the odors should be overpowering or particularly noxious. I hope everything goes well for you.

Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
Re: root canal questions

Thank you!

Closed Thread