It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
(female)

atomicredhead HB User
how long is the packing suposed to stay in after the dentist treats dry socket?

I just went to the dentist today to get a dry socket packed, but now later the same day the packing came loose and I think it might fall out. Is it suposed to do that on it's own, they didn't tell me I needed to make an appointment to get it out? Should I try to keep it in the socket or just go back to the dentist again tomorrow? help please!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
(female)

cyndi627 HB User
Re: how long is the packing suposed to stay in after the dentist treats dry socket?

i was told last week if i get a dry socket i would need to come back every day or two to have the packing (medication) changed. Today is day 5 and so far no dry socket. How many days after your extraction did you get dry socket? Are you in pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
(female)

atomicredhead HB User
Re: how long is the packing suposed to stay in after the dentist treats dry socket?

I got my dry socket symptoms on day five, or rather i woke up in the middle of the night in day four with extreme pain. if you aren't having pain i wouldn't worry though. I got pain the the lower jaw and it hurt to open my mouth too much. It feels much better now though.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

lola32 HB User

this is pretty common. with such a wet environment, it is often hard to keep the packing in. The standard packing is a strip of cloth maybe an inch long that is soaked in a foul smelling medicine, packed inside the socket or "hole" and then covered over by a putty like substance. Now you must figure out if just the putty stuff came out or if the little strip of cloth came out. The strip of cloth will most likely be a very dark brown and the putty is usually white until it gets stained by the medicine. If it was just the putty and the strip is still in there, your okay. If it is all out, you should go back to have it replaced as soon as possible. It usually takes 2-3 packings to cure and are usually done every 3-7 days depending on the method used.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
(female)

k_c_lady HB User

Do you hink that is what I might have? I had mine out on Monday. I was fine until thur. and have been in a lot of pain. the pain meds aren't helping. I onlt had three to remove. 2 uppers and one lower. The lower one is killing me! The top two are find. Haven't really caused me any pain at all. What should I do? Could I call the dentist office and ask them? Thank you for your help! Kc

Closed Thread