It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

whatshouldIdo HB User
Angry Bad Teeth, remove or fix?

My teeth are very bad, and I need extensive dental surgery in order to fix my teeth. I have old fillings that I got when I was a kid, that have now come out. I also grind my teeth in my sleep and they hurt every morning when I wake up. I had some x-rays done about a year ago that showed some decay. I have very bad gingivitis (sp) and sometimes I have bad breath. I have had 3 of my molars extracted. The catch is, is that for whatever reason, I have grown immune to novocane. The last 3 teeth (molars) I had removed, I had to be put to sleep and they had to cut my gums and cut them out. 2 different dentists said that I have a vein or a nerve (can't remember which they said) that they cannot pull out, so they have to cut my teeth out and stitch the gum. I don't have insurance, so I had to pay over $600.00 per tooth to be removed. All of my teeth feel like they are rotting out of my head, and am considering getting them all pulled and getting dentures. Most dental places require full payment up front, but I don't have thousands of dollars to hand them. Is it cheaper to keep going back, getting put to sleep and fixing them? Or would it be cheaper to have them all pulled.

P.S. If I choose to pull them, they will have to heal before I go back to be fitted for dentures right? There is NO WAY I can go to work without any teeth since I work with the public. Not sure what to do, and can't afford to be out of work that long. Any advice??????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User
Re: Bad Teeth, remove or fix?

Hi, your situation sounds similar to mine. My teeth had gotten so bad it was going to cost so much to get them fixed. I opted to get them removed and get dentures. I just couldn't see myself spending 10 to 15 thousand dollars for root canals, crowns, and fillings, and taking the chance that it wouldn't help or that they would go bad on down the line. I do not regret my decision at all. I know not everyone has an easy time getting dentures, but if I had know how easy it would be for me, I would have done it years ago.

I had 26 teeth removed and immediate dentures put in as soon as the last tooth was out. I am a stay at home mom, but if I worked, I probably would have been able to go back to work within just a few days. But I will say again, not everyone has had it as easy as I have.

Getting dentures is a BIG decision. Just remember if you do it, it IS permanent. No going back once they are out! LOL But if you do decide to do it, I will be happy to answer any questions that you have. This board is a great place to talk to others that have been where you are now. Good luck!

Cristie

Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
(female)

whatshouldIdo HB User

Thanks. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I am a very slow healer, so needless to say I'll be out of work for sometime, if I choose to do that. My luck, It would take months to get used to dentures. I am only 26 years old, so that being another reason why I am hesitant about doing it.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

whatshouldIdo HB User

Should I mention I have a low tolerance for pain?

Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #5

lohrewok HB User

LOL if my dentist saw this post he would slap you around hard! 26 is waaayy too young for dentures. Heck fire, I'm 45 and still have all my teeth. Never saw a dentisti until I was 23 and got insurance. I had a lot of problems and spent many hours and dollars in that chair. Even got peridontal disease when I was 34. Went thru all that scaping etc. Finally learned my lesson, and it really is a very simple one. FLOSS. every single night. Now when I go in for checkups they just give me a "well-done, old girl" and a toothbrush and I am on my way outta there.

Seriously though. Even with the most expensive, best fitting dentures you are going to run into some major problems down the road. Your facial features will start to cave in over the years and you'll look years older than you are. The jaw bone will evenually start to fail, meaning lots of pain. Every single tooth you can save will be well worth it. You've got a good start, getting info. Now broaden your search and get some opinions from dentists, google= etc. Good luck toyou.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

Hello! I got my dentures when I was 32. Still pretty young! I have a fairly high pain tolerance, but I wasn't in much pain. Dentures are not for everyone. Have you checked into seeing how much it would cost to get your teeth fixed? Just think long and hard before making any decisions. You may be suprised to find that your teeth aren't as bad as you think! Good luck!!

Cristie

Old 08-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Just thought I would add my 2 cents since I have been contemplating this very thing for months now. I have literally spent $50-60K over my lifetime on my teeth - I am now in my late 40's and have severe tmj. But the more I read and hear from other members the more I have become more inclined to try and keep my teeth at least a while longer, despite all the pain I am constantly in. Might I suggest you look into the nearest dental school or university in your area. They often do full dental reconstructions at a fraction of the cost of private practices. Also, Capital One (as well as other credit cards I'm sure) offers 0% financing for 12 months for dental care - I just saw one in my dentists office today - maybe that might help with paying it off. I have to agree that 26 is way too young to start with dentures - but only you can decide how much more you can tolerate with your natural teeth. I wish you the best and good luck.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:05 AM   #8
(female)

whatshouldIdo HB User

Thanks guys. I don't really want to get dentures. Its just that most dentists require full payment, which I dont have. I was reading another thread in here that said red heads do not react to some medications, including novocane. LMAO! Lord Ham Urcy, I am a red head. Thats got to be a myth though. What if I decided to get all of my teeth fixed at one time? Since I have to be put to sleep anyway????

Old 08-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
(female)

corricatt HB User

The best answer to your questions is how willing are you to make a lifestyle change? Once the work is done, are you willing to work at keeping them fixed? Can you give up sugar, brush 2 to 3 times a day and FLOSS regularly? Do you smoke? Smoking is a humongous contributor to gum disease and bone loss.

Like another poster said.. search, read, search more... LEARN all you can about teeth so as to help you make the decision that is right for you.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #10
(female)

whatshouldIdo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by corricatt
The best answer to your questions is how willing are you to make a lifestyle change? Once the work is done, are you willing to work at keeping them fixed? Can you give up sugar, brush 2 to 3 times a day and FLOSS regularly? Do you smoke? Smoking is a humongous contributor to gum disease and bone loss.

Like another poster said.. search, read, search more... LEARN all you can about teeth so as to help you make the decision that is right for you.

I am absolutely willing to keep them up if I had the work done. I'm not sure if it would even help because my mother has bad teeth too and sits in the dentists chair all the time. She has spent thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars getting hers fixed. I just went to the dentist this morning, and the dentist looked at my x-ray and immediately referred me to an oral surgeon. He remembered that I don't react to novocane, so going to a regular dentist is pointless and I have to spend 4 to 5 times the amount with an oral surgeon that I would with a regular dentist

Closed Thread