It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
(female)

laskalady HB User
Tooth is Shifting/Wisdom Growing in..Help!

I have a wisdom tooth growing in ..and now my front tooth is hurting and it has shifted back behind the other front tooth. The tmj dentist confirmed its definitely the wisdom tooth causing a domino effect so to speak. However, he is only my tmj doc and didnt take x-rays. I want to know if anyone thinks the shifting will stop?? or will my tooth continue to move? Has anyone ever experienced this? I really hope its not growing in incorrectly b/c my tmj dentist said to try not to get that tooth taken out b/c my jaw is so messed up i cant have my mouth open for long periods of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Tooth is Shifting/Wisdom Growing in..Help!

When I was in my late teens, early 20's my front teeth started to move due to my wisdoms. One erupted and pushed the tooth in front of out of its way - it actually just fell out and the other 3 were still below the gum line so I did have them taken out. But my front teeth continued to shift so then I did braces and they had to remove 4 more teeth to straighten the others out. 20 years later - now I have really bad tmj and not sure if its from having the wisdoms taken out or the braces done. Since you are already using your wisdoms in your bite I would have to agree with the tmj doc. Maybe a retainer could prevent them from moving any further? Are you wearing a spint or night guard for the tmj - that can also cause front teeth to shift.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
(female)

laskalady HB User

thanks very much for your reply! I'm using a lower 24/7 horseshoe splint. The tmj doc said its not the spint... for now it looks like its not shifting much anymore..however the whole tooth hasnt grown in. When you say it fell out do you mean the wisdom tooth fell out? Also did your front tooth hurt when this was taking place? Mine hurts sometimes.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

No, the one wisdom tooth remained yet it pushed the molar out in front of it (it was dangling by the time I got to the dentist). So bascially I have one wisdom tooth on the side missing the molar but you can't tell since the wisdom moved right into the molars former place. Wisdoms can be very forceful. Both my front teeth hurt - kind of like pressure in between them as if food or a string was caught in between them. The ached occassionally as well.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

gossamerfairy HB User

I just wanted to add my experience. I had braced on for 4 years. During which, all 4 wisdom teeth started growing in. After I got the braced off, my wisdom teeth continued to grow, pushing my newly straightened teeth back as almost crooked as they were to begin with. My dentist never told me to get them removed, but my orthodontist told me it might be a good idea. Well, I didn't have them out until only recently (actually 3 days ago). The whole time my wisdom teeth were coming in, I noticed my teeth shifting (I couldn't even wear my post-braces retainer, as my teeth were constantly moving and it didn't fit anymore.) My mom is mad that she spent $3,000 on my braces, and now they're crooked again. SO, I DEFININTELY think that wisdom teeth cause other teeth to move, even move dramatically. My teeth have been hurting off and on for years now (especially my front upper teeth), I guess when the wisdom teeth were pushing more against my other teeth. But now, since I have them out, I feel A LOT LESS pressure on my other teeth.
Just some 2 cents for you.

Last edited by gossamerfairy; 08-18-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Closed Thread