It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

mlt3610 HB User
partial plate immediately after extrations

Would like any info from anyone who has had a partial put in immediately after teeth removed. I have periodontal problems, with one loose tooth & one absessed tooth. My dentist is sending me to a oral surgeon to have both teeth removed.I had my impressions done testerday, the temporay partial is to be ready to take with me next week.I've had a problem with my "eye" tooth in the front for quite some time. It's been sort of loose & making me look "long in the tooth" ya know, so the dentist suggested that this tooth be corrected , so my temporary partial will have a nicer tooth. My bone won't hold a root canal or implant- but I'm curious as to immediate putting the partial in? they told me then I'd be keeping the partial in from the extaction day{wed.} til Sat. Any advice on what I'll be going through-is it very painful? would like to hear from anyone who has gone though any similar experiences??? thanks ahead of time!!
mlt

Old 08-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

emmababe HB User
Re: partial plate immediately after extrations

i dont have a plate yet! but im a dental nurse so thought id try help out. immediate dentures are good if you're having front teeth extracted because its embarrassing! however because you had the impressions done b4 the extraction, it may become loose after, as the gum changes and receeds alot after extraction. you may wish to have another one made in 6 months or so or you could ask if it could be realined.

the extraction itself shouldnt be anything to worry about, anaesthetics these days are very good, and remember to say if you feel anything, it shouldnt hurt at all. just be aware that if you smoke, you shouldnt smoke for at least 3 hours b4 as this can stop the anaesthetic working properly.

good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
(female)

mlt3610 HB User

I had the implressions done yesterday, they were sent out & the partial is to be in the day before my dental surgery, which is next Wed. I had to stop taking a couple meds to & am on Tetracyclin for 12 days, too.It is two front teeth, my left eye tooth & then one good tooth, staying,then the next one back is the absessed tooth that is to be removed, too. You're saying that they will put the partial in & be fine, but that my gums will shrink within the 6 mos. following these teeth being removed- They said this would be my temporary but that many people wear temps. for ever?? Is this true? I appreciate you responding & thanks for your info

Old 09-08-2006, 02:28 AM   #4
(female)

arkysteelerfan HB User

I had three teeth extracted in April, one top and one bottom molar and the tooth next to my eye tooth, and 2 bone grafts done. I felt NOTHING during surgery and was allittle sore the next day after surgery. The doctor that made the partial delivered it the same day as my surgery. He did do some filing to get it to fit that day. I wore it for a week and had no problems-some adjustments were made after the first week-MINOR.
You will be fine. I was really supprised at how little pain I had after the surgery.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

td9997 HB User

good morning,

Ive had my lower partial for 4 years.
Ive hated my partial I know I need to love my partial.
I lost my front bottom teeth to gum Disease.I had a mouthful of theeth as a child and the fangs, , the fangs are gone.
My teeth are really pretty good. I drink coffee and TEA.
My parents could never afford good Dent care [braces I needed] but we did practice good mouth hygiene as a family in the 60's. Teeth are so so important , heres a thought... if only teeth would grow back or self straighten like a lizard regrows a tail>> I believe in taking care of our theeth, your smile is very essential to the body, if you cant smile?? then what do ya really have?

My flipper was placed in with blood still on my chin,the same day of extractions, I felt nothing ,tell the dent to give you drugs~~.
I use baby teething jell now, to numb the soreness from my partial, they sell bubblegum flav, also
when you put you partial in and out, dont forget to place a towel in the sink to cushion the fall if you drop them.
Ive never slept with my partial in. I dont really want to.

I did the stupid by placing my theeth in my coat pocket when I first got them, cause my gums just couldnt take the pain and soreness, dont do that either, dont put your theeth in your pocket or purse.

td9997
Smile pretty

Last edited by td9997; 09-09-2006 at 04:07 PM.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
(female)

mlt3610 HB User

well, it's 2 days after & I'm DOING GREAT!!!! didn't need tylenol w/codeine after the 1st 24 hrs!! soreness at the sight of extractions same day, but now I'm eating pasta & had bread with cheese-no problems. The surgeon said the partial was a good tight fit, only last night did I feel a little discomfort at the far right corner of the plate, probably some rubbing on my upper gumline a bit. Will go tomorrow morning to have my hygeinist show me how to remove & care for the plate-so far haven't been allowed to remove, just told to gargle w/salt water several times daily. I only wish I wouldn't have been so worried about all this- it's always so much worse in your mind-all the "what ifs" stuff!!I'm really doing well, the partial gave me a nicer smile since one of the new teeth, my eye tooth was corrected-it used to protrude alot & now my new "tooth" is a nicer one- I'm now new & improved!!! thanks to all who responded & were encouraging.
mlt

Old 09-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Hi there,
I am sooo glad it worked out so well for you. You are right, the worrying and being scared beforehand is often the worst part!
Hope you will continue to feel well :-)

Closed Thread