It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
(male)

brianfl HB User
Sore gums after flossing

Hey guys,

A couple of days ago I was flossing and the string "snapped" and cut my gum; there was some mild bleeding but no pain.. just some discomfort which I thought would go away... but now my gum hurts a LOT.
I know I grind my teeth while sleeping and this morning I woke up and pain was terrible. There is some swelling, but no bleeding or redness... gums look normal.
I am not sure what to do, as it is hurting a lot now... specially when I bite.

Should I take some medicine to relieve the pain while my gum is healing ? Will it heal on its own ? Should I go see a dentist ?

Thanks !

Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
(male)

brianfl HB User
Re: Sore gums after flossing

ok, so finally after the worst weekend of my life...(because of the 3 day holiday weekend - all dentists were closed - even a 24 hour center...). I had a horrible pain, sore gums, and wanting to punch my face to see if the pain would go away. I never looked forward to going to a dentists so much like I did this weekend.
So finally it is tuesday and of course I was at the dentist office at 8am when they opened... he took me in right away, took an X ray and told me the root canal done about 3 yrs ago had gone bad (whatever that means).
So, since I am getting braces in the next couples months, he gave me two options, try to save the tooth or pull it out.
I decided to pull it out, because he told me I will have to get some teeth pulled out in order for braces to work, as I have a very small mouth and large teeth...
It was pretty painful, the tooth wouldn't come out, but once it did the infection was about the size of an orange seed... no kidding. The pain stayed there for a couple hours and went away after I took a pain killer (Thank God for pain killers). The dentist told me that he was glad I decided to pull it out because I'd probably have spent over $1,000 to try to save a tooth that probably would hurt again in a few months... the infection was that BAD.
but now I am home, with no pain and it just hit me that I got a tooth pulled out and it is gone forever and I feel a little desperate.
Not that it really matters now, cuz I cant go back, but just for peace of mind, do you think I chose the best option or should I have tried to save it ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Its hard to day b/c none of us have a crystal ball to see what could have been or what lies a head. At least you know the tooth will never bother you again. What did the ortho think - can he move the other teeth during your treatment to cover the new space or was this a tooth that would have been removed for the braces anyway?

Old 09-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #4
(male)

brianfl HB User

Well, I haven't talked to my ortho yet, but the dentist who extracted my tooth, first said that i dont have enough room for all my teeth (I heard that a million times before) so he said that I will have to have a few teeth pulled including my four wiswom teeth before I can begin an orthodontic treatment.
It has only been 3 days since my extraction and I can feel my wisdom tooth on that same side trying to come out already.
Anyway, the dentist said that the ortho would be able to pull my other teeth forward to cover the gap...

Right now the side of my face is a little tender and sensitive.. it doesnt bother me, but when I lay my hand on my face I can feel it's kinda sore.
also, I can see that the hole is a very dark red shade, is that normal ?
it is also a little swollen and the tooth next to the removed one is also kinda sore, is that normal ?

Closed Thread