It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

PRISE HB User
Getting partial denture on front tooth...any thoughts?

I am getting one of my front teeth pulled (also a bone graft) and then an implant will be put in months later. I recently got an impression for my partial denture to be made. It will be made of acrylic. Has anyone had one of these kinds of dentures? I am worried how it will look and feel. I have to wear it for almost a year until they can finally put on my permanent crown. UG! Any thoughts?

Old 09-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Getting partial denture on front tooth...any thoughts?

I had one for a brief period prior to getting full dentures. Right front central incisor. It felt weird at first then over time I got used to it more or less. I was heading for full dentures so this was my first introduction to removable teeth. Will yours have clasps to keep it snug in your mouth or will it be what is referred to as a flipper- basically a tooth attached to a small plate?

My next door neighbor has worn one for about 25 years and says she hardly notices it. She had been given the option of bridgework or implants over the years and has stayed with the removable tooth due to the simplicity of it. To look at her you would never know she is missing a front tooth.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
(female)

PRISE HB User

Thanks for your quick reply...mine will actually be a flipper. Why do they call it that? Not sure what it will look like. I just hope it doesnt have hooks in the front that people can see when i smile. Horrible! I am only 31yrs old and no man will want to kiss me for a whole year!

Old 09-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

I think they call it a flipper because that is what they tend to do- flip around.

Most of the time they put the clasps or hooks back far enough not be seen by the average person. I would think that if you asked your dentist after you healed if he could make a more stable partial for you since you will need the services of it for a year he would be willing to do it. My neighbors tooth is the one tooth, a horseshoe shapped plate for the roof of her mouth and two stainless steel looking hooks that go around her last molars on each side. If she smiles really BIG you might catch a glimpse of the hooks. Maybe!

As far as being out of the kissing game for a year- don't bet on it, in fact, don't even think about it. Be yourself, no one has to know you have a false tooth unless you want to tell them. You should not count yourself out of anything just because of this tooth. Make it your mission to get it, wear it and be nothing but the best you can be.

Take care and feel free to ask me anything you want.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

td9997 HB User
Post Re: Getting partial denture on front tooth...any thoughts?

Hi fellow denture wearers,

I have a lower partial for my front teeth with two mollars on each side .Ive had my partial for 4 years, I just got a new partial ,this new one has more wires than the last one, the last partial had no wires. I have a sore already on my gumline ouch!!I recieved my new partial just 2 days ago.
I have not loved my partial like I should . I have struggled with my partial, it makes me gaga, it makes me bite my tongue, it caused my mouth to feel like I have a mouthful of a foreign object, I hate my new and old partial!! I lost my front bottom teeth to gum disease I wish I wouldave avoided at all cost this partial.
Im getting ready to go out in public and its gonna hurt like hell to put the partial back in my mouth. Im thinking of buying some numbing jeel like babies use for teething, does numbing jell work with Denture pain?

They called mine a flipper at first too , I think a flipper is meant to be temporary .I had my flipper placed in the first minute my teeth were pulled. Ive struggled with my flipper/partial from go one.
blahh!!!!

ty

td9997

Old 09-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #6

buddee HB User

td9997: Usually when a new denture is placed, sore spots surface. This is very normal. Most of the time, a dentist will schedule a 24 hour check-up, a 3 day check-up, and a one week check up to adjust those sore spots. If you don't have it adjusted, the spots will just get worse. They can ulcerate all the way down to the bone from constant rubbing. You need to go back and have the small adjustments made. They aren't a big deal, don't take too long, and will make your life a lot more pleasant.

Prise - the same advice goes for you. I'm sure you flipper will look fantastic. I would recommend you ask for some clasps in the back like sandybeech described so you aren't always worried about it falling out. (and FYI, flippers have a lot of different names - flipper, stayplate, interim denture, etc.) And be sure to ask you dentist about those 24 hour, 72 hour, and 1 week recall visits to adjust any sore spots. Some dentists will say, "call me if you get one". If thats the case, make sure you do call, because MOST people get one at first. It's just part of getting it dialed in to fit correctly. All the best!

Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

td9997 HB User

Thank you buddee !

Got in for my adjustment today much better fit!!
I love my Dentist~~

Closed Thread