It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
(male)

dparise HB User
Unhappy Infection with dental implants

I had three dental implants put in a few weeks ago. The surgeon implanted three titanium posts. I had stitches removed last week and everything seemed fine till then. A few days later I started to feel discomfort in my gums like pressure and soreness. I let it go a week and finally went to see the surgeon. I had a bad infection which was in the bone he told me. He had to remove two of the posts and cut out infection. Oh my god it was so painful even with four shots of novacaine. He told me this was rare (infection). He had to graft in new bone charged me $800 mor eon top of the $7,000 to begin with and told me I may have to wait another 6 to 12 months for implants to be done again!
Has anyone experienced anything like this????????
help
david

Old 09-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Re: Infection with dental implants

Do not go back to this surgeon. Often the success of implants depend on the surgeon and how sterile the environment is. My surgeon uses PRP which is where they extract platelets from your blood and put if in the area the implant goes to keep down on infection.

My Prosthodontist says this in his book. Very odd that you got such an odd infection in my opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
(female)

bluebell22 HB User

My husband had the very same problem only his dentist didn't act quickly enough and my husband ended up having to have an operation to remove the infection and spent a week in hospital. Luckily he didn't need a bone graft but has an external scar under his chin. The very first thing he did after getting out of hospital was to change dentist and six months later has two successful implants with titanium.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
(female)

BLL HB User

I can sympathize. I just posted my thread. I had 2 implants put in about two weeks ago and had to have them taken out day before yesterday. Did they find the infection on an xray, because the bone infection shows up on the xray. Clyndemycin is the best antibiotic for bone infection. I have been on it for two weeks.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
(male)

dparise HB User

what does your surgeon say about replacement mine said in about 12 months!! I paid 7,000+ for three and he took out two. do you think there is any recourse. i don't want to go through it again. he cut out my infection and it was very painful.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
(female)

BLL HB User

I'm too afraid to have it done again. I was in excruiating pain and still have numbness in my chin and teeth behind it. Where were your implants? Mine were in the last two molars. My story is Numbness after Implants if you want to read it. My DDS specializes in implants. I posted it day before yesterday. I will find another way.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

I had 4 implants inserted into my mouth immediately after extractions. A couple of weeks later 3 failed. Two were very loose and had to be removed and one actually came out with the removable denture...Ouch! that hurt. So now I have one implant that is tight. I was told to come back in 3 weeks to try the other 3 again. But it was so painful to have the other 2 removed and one fall out. So I am waiting longer to make sure my bone heals completely and is strong enough to support the implants. I am suposed to have a total of 6 implants. The first 4 were immediate and the last 2 were going to be put in about 6 weeks later. And my permanant removable denture will be made in one year.
So now I have to go back and try the implants again. I never got an infection though. They just didn't take in the bone. Dispite the fact that bone filler was put into the bone along with the implants.
If it wasn't for the fact that the dental office states
"No Refunds" I would probably not keep trying the implants.
However, I must admit that even the one implant that I have has held my denture in place very well. This is my immediate denture and it has gotten very loose. If it wasn't for that implant the denture would have fallen out many times. So, they work very well, as long as there are no complications.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
(female)

BLL HB User

I have to say that my dentist feels badly about what happened. He not only reimbursed me what I paid him, but he paid for my second opinion when he found out that I paid for it. The surgeon that I went to for my second opinion was very costly (very reputable, but doesn't accept any insurance).

My dentist seems pretty dedicated to me, and says that he will find some way for me to have teeth back there and be comfortable, but he doesn't want me to think about it right now until this has all cleared up. He knows how traumatizing it has been for me.

I have seen him almost every day in the past two 1/2 weeks and he even met me at the office last Sunday morning when I was in so much pain.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
(female)

palominogirl HB User

i have an infection in my gum where there was an old root canal done. i am on clindamycin too. will that cure the infection or do you usually have to have surgery to remove the infection. don't want to cause i'm a big chicken.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

This particular pile of posts has me shaking in my boots. I am contemplating my first implant and am far beyond NERVOUS! The thought of screwing in an infection makes me weak in the knees.

Having a stent in my heart doesn;t make me feel any better about septic infections!.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #11
(male)

dparise HB User

Lenin
I wouldn't get too worried. My surgeon told me like 1 in 300 get bone infections.(I happended to be that 300). The implant surgery itself was not painful at all (very easy). If it wasn't for the infection I would be thrilled right now. But instead I'm not going to do it ever again (will try to have a bridge again).
One very important thing though is ask your surgeon about starting out on antibiotics before surgery. It might help to curtail infection
Good Luck!!
david parise

Closed Thread