It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 06:53 AM   #16
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Wisdom Tooth Removal -- Worried about Nerve Damage

ive had all four of my wisdom teeth out,ive not accounted any of these problems ,i find it very strange ,thats after a week or two your feeling numb i could understand a week ,but any longer i too would be worried .and the dentist says this is normal and will be ok in a month time?

well,i hope it does maybe because the tooth was so impact in your gums the nerve is maybe well not sure sorry well i hope you all are ok,and in a month time you get the feeling back ,otherwise go back and get it sorted as it doesnt seem right to me

Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
(male)

willybrown HB User
Smile Re: Wisdom Tooth Removal -- Worried about Nerve Damage

Nerve damage is a risk any time an injection for local anesthesia is given. Make that EVERY TIME an injection is given. It typically does not happen. But it has been known to. You should have been given the risk versus benefits of your procedure and signed a consent to having the procedure done.

That said- complete or partial loss of sensation after an injection or procedure is ALWAYS possible. Typically it happens on the lower jaw more than the upper. This loss of sensation could be either from the needle hitting, and damaging, the nerve while the injection was given; or it could be from actual nerve damage near or at the area of tooth removal.

As for predicting how long it will take for the sensation to return, if it will return, is a differnt story. Nobody can really give someone a time frame such as one month. You can only hope it won't be longer. And you can hope it will be less time. It all depends on the severity of the nerve damage and what nerve was damaged and how far away from the area that the loss of sensation is occuring.
I do not recall precisely at this monemt what the time period is for length of damage to repair. But if the damage IS repairable by the body's natural process ( and you can only hope it is, time will tell) and the damage is not severe, you will be fortunate if the damage that is causing the loss of sensation on your chin comes back in one month . Again- it depends on where the nerve was damaged and how badly it was damaged.

If one has loss of the ability to open ones mouth to a normal degree as it was before the extraction(s), there may be a more serious concern.

As a word of caution: wisdom teeth do not necessarily NEED to be extracted just because they are wisdom teeth. It all depends on each individual. And there are other options, depending on wheher there are symptoms or not. One is to simply leave them alone. Another is to treat the cause of the acute problem, then put efforts in to preventing the same from happening again. The reason not to extract wisdomteeth just because they are wisdom teeth? because there are much more severe potential problems such as we see here.

Good luck with your concerns. I hope everything gets back to normal for you really soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #18
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerbaby View Post
ive had all four of my wisdom teeth out,ive not accounted any of these problems ,i find it very strange ,thats after a week or two your feeling numb i could understand a week ,but any longer i too would be worried .and the dentist says this is normal and will be ok in a month time?

well,i hope it does maybe because the tooth was so impact in your gums the nerve is maybe well not sure sorry well i hope you all are ok,and in a month time you get the feeling back ,otherwise go back and get it sorted as it doesnt seem right to me
Hi berger, thanks for your comments...when I asked my doctor about possible side effects he told me that it is quite common to lose sensation after having a wisdom tooth extracted. (Statistics seem to vary regarding the percentage of people affected by 'lingering numbness' after wisdom tooth extraction.) It doesn't happen to everyone, thank goodness.

Before the procedure, he showed me the tooth and the nerve on the xray..my tooth was 'laying' just above the nerve. He assured me he would try everything possible to not touch or damage it. And he told me (twice) after the procedure that he had not cut the nerve.

This morning I have the wierdest sensation in my lip and chin...it's still 'frozen' to the touch but feels different somehow...it's hard to describe. Last night I had several 'tingling' sensations in my lip so I'm hoping that means the nerve is trying to get 'back on its feet'

Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #19
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willybrown View Post
As for predicting how long it will take for the sensation to return, if it will return, is a differnt story. Nobody can really give someone a time frame such as one month. You can only hope it won't be longer. And you can hope it will be less time. It all depends on the severity of the nerve damage and what nerve was damaged and how far away from the area that the loss of sensation is occuring.

I do not recall precisely at this monemt what the time period is for length of damage to repair. But if the damage IS repairable by the body's natural process ( and you can only hope it is, time will tell) and the damage is not severe, you will be fortunate if the damage that is causing the loss of sensation on your chin comes back in one month . Again- it depends on where the nerve was damaged and how badly it was damaged.

If one has loss of the ability to open ones mouth to a normal degree as it was before the extraction(s), there may be a more serious concern.

As a word of caution: wisdom teeth do not necessarily NEED to be extracted just because they are wisdom teeth. It all depends on each individual. And there are other options, depending on wheher there are symptoms or not. One is to simply leave them alone. Another is to treat the cause of the acute problem, then put efforts in to preventing the same from happening again. The reason not to extract wisdomteeth just because they are wisdom teeth? because there are much more severe potential problems such as we see here.

Good luck with your concerns. I hope everything gets back to normal for you really soon.
Hi willy, I'm so glad to have found this forum! Thanks for your well wishes..and your post. Your comment about the distance between the damaged nerve and the numb feeling is really interesting. I'm assuming my nerve must have been damaged 'way back' in my mouth near my jaw...since that's where the tooth was impacted against my last molar. So it appears that the whole lower side of my face (along the jawline) has been affected with the exception of my tongue.

It's nice to read that the damage is reparable! I have faith in the body's repair system! I know it might take some time but I am concerned about waiting too long before looking into the possibility of repairing the nerve surgically... I know I should be more patient, but there is a two month waiting time here for procedures here and I don't want to lose my 'window of opportunity' for this to be successful.

I totally agree with you about leaving wisdom teeth alone if they're not giving you trouble, and that's what I did (I still have 3 others but they're above the gum). However, now, in my 50's, I've had to have the one out that was beneath the gum because it was causing pain (alot) when I chewed and causing my jaw to lock. I think having it extracted would have been much easier on me if I had been younger. This was honestly the first time in my life that any dentist told me about or showed me this wisdom tooth that was 'buried'! My mouth dropped open when I saw the xray and how far under the gum it was..the tooth was huge. It had become infected so I had to go on antibiotics two months ago to get rid of that first.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:40 AM   #20
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

i really feel for all of you who has had this happen,we all know and are told of the risks of any surgery,but very seldom happens its just something they have to warn people before operations

but i know loads people who has had 4 wisdom teeth out and after a week,no problem ,apart from pain and swelling .i just hope all of you are ok and back to normal i feel for you all as i know what discomfort is like

Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #21
(male)

willybrown HB User

Charlottefr-

Forget about having surgry to repair any nerve damage. Loss of sensation along the lower border of the lower jaw and surface of the chin is due to damage to the inferior alveolar nerve near the extraction site evidently. From what you stated, the surgeon mentioned about the location...
Forget about losing your window of opportunity as you stated. You just need to be patient and allow the body to do its thing in repairing the damage. Hopefully it will repair itself, and not take too long. I know it is annoyiny to live with this strange loss of sensation.
Just be patient. Even if you went for some "nerve repair" surgery- it would still take time tocome back to normal. And it would likely just have repaired itself and taken the same, or less amount of time to get back to normal if you just leave it alone and be patient. In effect- the surgery would be pointless...

From now on- be careful about what you let people do for you with regard to dental work especially. I do not know your history with this tooth. But if it were not symptomatic and was fully impacted- there is nothing wrong with leaving it as it is. Any surgery has potential risks and side effects.
There is a lot of hearsay and other types of misinformation about wisdom teeth. Just because they are wisdom teeth does not mean they need to be extracted. There are avoidable consequences such a s that you are experiencing.

A final word: as a lot of questions of your doctor before you allow anything to be done. You have a right to know the risks and benefits of any procedure. And you have a right to go back to have things corrected, if possible... I hope this helps for future cases.

Be patient with that loss of sensation thing. Do not go into something that is needless or extreme.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #22
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Hi willy, thanks again for the advice. I've decided to wait 2 months and then make an appointment to see the doctor again if I haven't recovered more feeling in that area. I think you are right about avoiding a second surgery if possible...I really don't want to traumatize this area again and go through another period of recuperating especially if there's no guarantee that the surgery will work!

It's been 10 days now since the procedure..I have regained a little feeling in my cheek but I'm still 'frozen' along my bottom teeth and left lip and chin. I have no swelling and no localized pain now in my neck (side and front)..yay!

I'm pretty confident that the doctor diagnosed the problem with my wisdom tooth correctly and that, in my case, it had to come out. Apparently there was a bit of a gap between my molar root and wisdom tooth "down under"...he explained that food was getting trapped there causing the infection.

That previous tooth pain has now been replaced with another kind of pain however..sigh. With my teeth 'frozen' on the left lower side, it's very difficult to brush and I have no idea whether I'm cleaning my teeth well enough or not. I always have had to floss between two teeth in particular because there is a slight gap..but I am scared to do it since I have no feeling now there (plus I can still open my mouth only about 3 cm) I think I am ready to try chewing on that side as the site of the surgery seems to have healed. I am now getting brief 'shooting' pains from time to time in my chin...and one of my front teeth is aching almost continuously. Do you think it's possible that my teeth are repositioning themselves now that the wisdom tooth is gone? The pain reminds me of when I had braces and my teeth were moving.

I'm still washing my mouth out with the 'concoction' the doctor prescribed (it tastes like mouthwash). Last night, I 'tied' a handtowel around my head and under my jaw like kind of a sling which seemed to help for some reason! My theory is that it gave my lower jaw a rest from tension???

The word 'annoying' that you used is the best one to describe this situation. This is a feeling that only goes away when I am laying down or sleeping. Otherwise, I am constantly aware of it. Forcing myself to relax helps somewhat. I am back to work..but I have trouble pronouncing some sounds or talking for any length of time and I get tired pretty quickly still. My advice to anyone going through a procedure like this is to take 2 or 3 or more days off from work...I only took one and it wasn't enough.

Last edited by charlottefr; 01-20-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 AM   #23
(male)

willybrown HB User

Charlottefr-

You have had damage done to your inferior alveolar nerve for sure. Only time will tell how much sensation you will regain, if it will be return to normal. It is a tough thing to live with everyday, for sure. But you just have to somehow try to live with it the best you can. Try your best not to focus on it all the time. It is difficult. But , that is all you can do.
Hopefully you will regain sensation.

What worries me is the reduced ability to open your mouth as you have stated. This could indicate not only nerve damage, that affects your sensory aspects of the lower jaw on that side, but it could be an indication of having the muscle affected. Having the muscle affected is rare. Though it has been known to occur from muscle trauma resulting from the injection and subsequent bleeding within deep tissues. It is a complicated problem that is not appropriate to go in to detail about here. It is rare, but known to happen. The name for it is Myositis Ossificans. You should not worry excessively over this now. Just be informed.
Typically partial or complete loss of sensation only is what occurs in the way you have described.

Taking off work a couple extra days would have made no difference for you. If all went routinely, you should have regained normal sensation within a couple hours after the surgery. You have definately had nerve damage during this procedure. That is always a risk with this type of surgery. I do hope that the sensation for you will return as soon as possible. It will take some time rhough. That is just the way it is.You just have to be patient. Try your best to distract yourself from focusing on this loss of sensation. There is simply nothing that you can do to speed up the process of returning to normal, if it will return to normal. The body does things at its own pace. Waiting a couple more months is definately the right thing to do before you go looking in to anything else...

And no-your teeth are not repositioning themselves. Get that idea out of your mind. It just is not a possibility.

I hope I did not worry you at all. I am just trying to inform you and, hopefully reduce your concerns over this loss of sensation.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #24
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willybrown View Post
Taking off work a couple extra days would have made no difference for you. If all went routinely, you should have regained normal sensation within a couple hours after the surgery. You have definately had nerve damage during this procedure. That is always a risk with this type of surgery. I do hope that the sensation for you will return as soon as possible. It will take some time rhough. That is just the way it is.You just have to be patient. Try your best to distract yourself from focusing on this loss of sensation. There is simply nothing that you can do to speed up the process of returning to normal, if it will return to normal. The body does things at its own pace. Waiting a couple more months is definately the right thing to do before you go looking in to anything else...
I hope I did not worry you at all. I am just trying to inform you and, hopefully reduce your concerns over this loss of sensation.

Best of luck to you.
Hi willy..no, you do not have me worried..you've actually put me more at ease by your comments Thanks again. I'll keep track of my jaw movement and make sure to discuss this with the doctor when I go to see him in 2 months. The limited jaw opening was one of the reasons I went to the dentist initially. The other symptoms were pain in the area of the wisdom tooth when chewing food on either side of my mouth...sore throat when swallowing...very dry mouth during the night...and pain in my left ear from time to time. Now that I think about it, I have none of these last few symptoms since the tooth was extracted

btw..I bought a heating pad (gel type) from the pharmacie yesterday and it is a blessing (maybe it really does nothing but it is comforting to use it)! This morning when I woke up my face did not feel as 'tight'. Mornings are always the worst. I also bought some over the counter meds (with codeine) to help with the pain in my front tooth and my chin.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #25
(female)

charlottefr HB User

hi everyone..I thought I'd give an update in case anyone else has to ever go through this experience. Yesterday was 2 weeks since my tooth was removed. I had a fairly bad week...the pain in my chin and tooth steadily increased and I was extremely tired at work and dizzy too. After work yesterday, I decided to go to see my regular doctor who checked my glands, etc and determined that I've another infection. So I am back on antibiotics and pain killers and now also cortisone (spelled corticoide, here). The pain in my front tooth has subsided this morning..but I'm still feeling pain and sensitivity in my chin and my left lower teeth/gum and cheek are still 'frozen'.

The 'new' infection, the doctor thinks, started at the site of the surgery and has moved along the jaw to my chin. Anyway, I guess my idea of using a heating pad was not a good one...never use heat with an infection. In my defense, I didn't know it was infected again...and thought these new symptoms might be just the result of having a wisdom tooth removed..sigh.

I'm not thrilled to be on antibiotics again because they tend to upset my stomach...but the doctor gave me a medicament to offset that. He asked me if I wanted a note to get off work and I said no because I want to work. He told me to rest this weekend and if it's not better after this treatment to go back to see him on Monday and he will call the oral surgeon to let him know what is going on.

I am just getting over a cold, too, so maybe that agitated things also...lowering my immune system, etc? I don't know.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 AM   #26
(female)

charlottefr HB User

just bumping this thread for more information/comments on nerve damage*

Last edited by charlottefr; 02-14-2008 at 04:24 AM.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #27
(male)

talon200323 HB User

Hi All,
I just had surgery to place a post (or screw) in my mouth for an implaint. I had my wisdom teeth removed years ago without any issue, but now I am experiencing numbness that others on this post wrote about.

Basically, the lower half of my lip and chin are completely numb. Its been a weak since the procedure and still no progress. I went back to the doctor and he gave me steriods to take to reduce any swelling. Has anyone heard about this? He said that the nerve "looked" okay but there might be permantant damage anyway.

The worst part of the whole situation is that I have a constant itch in the numb area. Its a tingle that I can't scratch and keeps me awake at night. Someone wrote before that this might be the nerve coming back... is there any truth to this?

Any hope at this point would be good. I can't imagine going the rest of my life with no feeling in my lip or chin. I can't feel myself shave (which is terrible sensation when you have a ravor next to your skin) and feel like I am constantly dripping water when drinking. I hope previous posts were able to regain the feeling and didn't have damage.

Closed Thread