It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

Sassy76 HB User
Having all teeth pulled!

I am 30yrs old and I am getting all of my teeth pulled to get dentures. I am very scared of having this done but know it needs to be done for my health. The dentist said they will only use novacaine and that I won't feel a thing but somehow I feel that I will still feel something. I then have to go for 6 weeks without teeth while I heal. It is going to be very rough, I have five children to take care of one just being 6 months old. I don't know how I am going to deal with having to go out in public with no teeth and how I am going to deal with the pain. If anyone has been through this or has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it. I am really scared about it!!!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
(female)

Youngone22 HB User
Re: Having all teeth pulled!

heyy!!! i'm quite young like you, im only 22...i'm getting a partial denture tomorrow b/c i'm missing 5 adult permanent teeth, and i am very nervous!!!!!!! You said that you won't be able to get your denture for a couple of weeks...so are you not able to get an immediate denture? With an immediate denture, you are able to take the impressions for the denture BEFORE the teeth are actually extracted, that way when your dentist does take your teeth out, you can just pop the denture in...that's what I'm having done tomorrow. My dentist said there is a chance that i might have to get another partial done, but from what i've been reading both here and the internet, we are bound to have to get another partial in our lifetime...i know i didnt want to walk around with 5 teeth missing from my upper, especially being in my 20s!!! I would talk to my dentist about the immediate partial, it will save you from having to walk around with no teeth on the top of your mouth and that does not sound very fun at all...let us know how it goes, and i hope i helped a little...wish me luck tomorrow

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

When I was 30 my upper and lower front teeth had to be removed and I was able to get fitted for permanent bridges. To be honest at that time the thought of me and anyone else missing or with no teeth horrified and disgusted me. 18 yrs later I have now have severe tmj and basically due to the pain can not tolerate the brdgess any more and my remaining teeth have been filed down due to tmj treatments. Suffice to say I am basically walking around with no teeth. But then I relaized - this is life, the real world so to speak and health is very important despite our own sense of vanity and that of others. So in the mean time I have learned how to enunciate with no teeth (takes some practice), to not open my mouth very wide when speaking to others, and grin while keeping my lips pursed. Although I am not married I spend most of my time with my sibs and their families - families love you no matter what and see past the missing teeth. You can do this - and don't be afraid to discuss it with the kids if they bring it up or ask about it. Also, ask you dr to prescribe pain meds - vicodin works very well although it is habit forming so he will probably only prescribe enough for a few days. Afterward though naproxen, aleve, advil, etc should help.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

Too bad they can't knock you out- that's how they did me..

Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
(female)

Sassy76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngone22
heyy!!! i'm quite young like you, im only 22...i'm getting a partial denture tomorrow b/c i'm missing 5 adult permanent teeth, and i am very nervous!!!!!!! You said that you won't be able to get your denture for a couple of weeks...so are you not able to get an immediate denture? With an immediate denture, you are able to take the impressions for the denture BEFORE the teeth are actually extracted, that way when your dentist does take your teeth out, you can just pop the denture in...that's what I'm having done tomorrow. My dentist said there is a chance that i might have to get another partial done, but from what i've been reading both here and the internet, we are bound to have to get another partial in our lifetime...i know i didnt want to walk around with 5 teeth missing from my upper, especially being in my 20s!!! I would talk to my dentist about the immediate partial, it will save you from having to walk around with no teeth on the top of your mouth and that does not sound very fun at all...let us know how it goes, and i hope i helped a little...wish me luck tomorrow

I would love to have the immediate dentures, but my dentist doesn't do that anymore because alot of times your denture will not fit after you heal cuz your gums shrink so i have to be without any teeth for at least 6 weeks so i can heal then they will take impressions and make my dentures, so I will be spending alot of time in the house. I go monday to have them all pulled and I am not looking forward to it. I wish you good luck with yours!!

Old 09-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
(female)

a.k.soccer HB User

my best advice: try and think of the posative, and do your best not to let it interfere with the rest of your life. the first two days are the worst, and after that, it should be much easier. take your pain meds before the novicane wears off. after you wake up the next day, the pain will probably be bearable or mostly gone. also, you might want to use an old pillow, and a tossable pillowcase. you will drool and bleed. but don't worry, it's normal.

Last edited by a.k.soccer; 11-07-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

Sassy, It's probably too late to change your plans now. But if you were to get immediate dentures they can always be relined to fit your gums as they heal. Several of us here have gotten immediates. And we've had them relined after a few months. I have a friend who had her dentures put in right after the extractions. And 10 years later they still fit her perfectly. So it is possible to not have to go toothless for 6 weeks.
Maybe if you discuss this with your dentist he will give you immediates. It sounds like he doesn't want to be bothered relining your dentures. But your needs should come first. If you don't want to be toothless for 6 weeks you should insist on immediates and get them relined after you heal.
Losing all your teeth is traumatic enough. But not having any teeth for 6 weeks adds to the problem. Your dentist should be more understanding about the situation.

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:49 AM   #8
(female)

cynde HB User
Talking Re: Having all teeth pulled!

hi there,
i am a 43 yo female
i just had the remaining six teeth on my upper mouth pulled last monday,
i work in a hospital so i opted for an immediate denture.
the 1st day i was in alot of pain post procedure,(but then again i tend to be a wuss!
my dentist used novacaine and nitrous oxide
i did better than i thought i would. 2 things that are kinda hard
believe it or not, i think (at least in my case) that you go through a period of mourning the loss of your natural teeth.....
wishing i had them back or had taken better care of them,(secretly wishing i was a shark so i would just grow another set LOL)
the other thing is getting used to them and the fear i will never eat anything more than mashed potatoes!!i am getting pretty sick of them! lol
it is now day 4 and last night i had a little bit of pain but the dentist saw me this afternoon and adjusted them a little more.
i have come to realize that this will be just one more side road on my journey through life and that it will take several more trips to the dentist to make them fit right
they seem to big for my mouth but the gums are still swollen .
i do like the way they look,and have gotten good comments from those around me.
i just want to eat real food again,please tell me i will ....like meat especially!
also it will affect your speech a little ,i stand in front of the mirror and speak aloud to ccorrectly pronounce words it seems to help! let me know how you are doing!personally i think getting them in right away makes more sense, then your gums form to the denture as they heal.just a thought...

anyway hang in there and know that you are not alone!

Old 09-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Sassy,

I hate to put doubts in your head in an obviously stressful time, but I have all sorts of "red flags" waving just reading your posts.

1. Treatment plan of removing all teeth at 30.
2. Dentist offers only novacaine.
3. Dentist refuses to do immediates.

These options indicate to me that perhaps the dentist is practicing dentistry in an antiquated method. There are so many options out there to make this ordeal easier for you and your self esteem. Also, since he's only offered dentures as the treatment method of choice for a 30 year old, I have to wonder if even that is necessary. Have you had a second opinion?

I would encourage you to shop around for a dentist who can offer you more palatable amenities, perhaps even alternative treatments. As I said before, I'm sorry if I am confusing you---it's just a gut feeling I have about his whole deal, and you did ask for advice in your first post.

Good luck with your decisions!

Old 09-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #10
(female)

kywildcats HB User

Only suggestion I can give about going out in public is try to put your hand over your mouth a bit when you talk to someone..I had all mine pulled last year but my dentist gave me an imediate denture for the top and then later got one that was more permanent. When he did my procedure he gave me gas as well as the novicane. You might ask your dentist about that.

On another note once you get your dentures I will tell you that you will have a lot of problems with your bottom denture moving around. It was so bad for me that I never wore my bottom one because I couldn't eat when I had it in. So I finally decided to get midi implants on the bottom. That cost me 2000 to do that. But it was well worth the money. Now my bottom dentures snap in and won't move and I can eat anything I want without having to worry about them moving.

Caryn

Old 09-29-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

I have to say that I can see Broallies point here.

I also was thinking of saying to you, have you had a second opinion?

I will tell you why - when I visited a dentist after the birth of my child, they did an xray. The dntist I was seeing told me I needed to have most of my large teeth removed. I was devastated, I had just had a baby, and then this.

I went for a second opinion, the next dentist told me, no, we can just deep root canal them, so needless to say I changed my dentist. Eleven years later I still have those teeth.

The scarey thing is, if I had trusted this first dentist, I would of lost those teeth, would of never of been able to get them back again.

My partners dad has dentures, and I also found out that it was infact this same dentist that removed his teeth. Scarey.

In view of this - please make sure you have another opinion first. There is so much that can be done to save teeth.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
(female)

Sassy76 HB User

thanks for all of your comments and opinions. the only other option i had was to have my natural teeth repaired and built up and that would of taken alot of time and alot of money as my insurance doesn't cover that. so the only option was to get all my teeth pulled and get dentures, as for the immediate dentures i have talked to a couple of dentist around here and none of them do the immediates they want you to heal and your gums to shrink before they put your dentures in. So although it sounded like i only had one option, or only talked to one dentist, I didn't I hope this clears some things up. I go tomorrow to get them all pulled and I know it will be traumatic and what not, but it is something that has to be done as I am in pain all the time from toothaches.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Sassy

My thoughts are with you, you have obviously looked into your options properly.

Best of luck

Old 10-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

I agree with Brook. May the next 6 weeks fly by for you and you are soon enjoying your new, painfree smile.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:06 AM   #15
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

My husband went to our Oral Surgeon last week and had two teeth pulled. He was asleep during the procedure and it took only 10 minutes. Afterward we discussed having the rest of his teeth pulled and that's what we are going to do next month.. He will be asleep the whole time. With his Dr. being an Oral surgeon he knows how to administer sedation. My husband also has arthritis and high Blood Pressure so they keep an extra watch on him. He will wait 6 weeks and then go and be fitted for the dentures which doesn't bother him to be without his teeth because the ones he has now are really bad and are probably a health issue and a cause of allot of his problems.
Hope things go okay for you.

Closed Thread