It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 01:45 AM   #1
(male)

bobshotme HB User
Brushing/flossing Too much?

I found out monday i have like 10 cavities! so i cut out most of the sugers(used to drink a 2liter of coke a day) and brush my teeth after every time eating or drinking, and floss about 2-5 times a day. so on a average day now im brushing like 7-9 times and flossing around 4 usualy. Is that too much? My teeth actually feel more sore since i stopped with the suger and started brushing after i eat everytime. I just fear having anymore cavities, im going to spend so much money on a dentist this year!

Old 09-30-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
(male)

GN85 HB User
Re: Brushing/flossing Too much?

Can't really tell if there's such thing as brushing too much, but I can tell you that you don't have to over do it. 2-3 times a day is enough, in fact I believe that that's what most dentists recommend. Once in the morning, maybe during the day, and at night.

I'd be more worried about what you eat, and when, so cutting down on the sugary stuff is a good thing for sure and I wouldn't go back to 2 liters of coke per day, that won't get rid of your tooth ache.

Perhaps some of your cavities are causing the soreness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2006, 03:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

I don't know, but you did the right thing giving up on the soda- that stuff is like drinking battery acid for your teeth! Seen many a nice mouth of teeth ruined by THAT!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
(male)

bobshotme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN85
Can't really tell if there's such thing as brushing too much, but I can tell you that you don't have to over do it. 2-3 times a day is enough, in fact I believe that that's what most dentists recommend. Once in the morning, maybe during the day, and at night.

I'd be more worried about what you eat, and when, so cutting down on the sugary stuff is a good thing for sure and I wouldn't go back to 2 liters of coke per day, that won't get rid of your tooth ache.

Perhaps some of your cavities are causing the soreness?
I guess it could be the cavities causing problems.Although my dentist told me a i have the weakest teeth he's ever seen, so thats why i need to brush evertyime after eating. But im doing great on not eatings sugars, so hopefuly that'll work. Ill probably lose weight too from that.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Brushing too hard can cause extreme damage to the gums.

1. Always use a soft brush...A soft brush will clean much better than a hard or medium one because some of the bristles will bend at heights of contour and others will remain straight reaching down into the gum area that surrounds the teeth. It is in this area that Periodontal disease begins when plaque (made of germs) is allowed to accumulate here. The point is to always aim to remove the plaque from this area around each tooth.

2. hold the brush so the bristles point at an angle (45 degrees) into the gums. Use short back and forth strokes. The entire procedure should take about two or three minutes spending 30 or 40 seconds on each surface of each arch. After thoroughly brushing the insides and the outsides of the teeth, the job is one half finished. Now you must clean between your teeth.

By brushing each half of the tooth separately, you can avoid injury to the gums and wear of the tooth. If you do not clean between your teeth with floss once a day, you will still get periodontal disease by the time you are in your forties. You will be especially prone to the bone loss that is the final symptom of gum disease if you neglect to clean between your teeth.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
(female)

LadyMirabelle HB User

Also, if you brush too hard, you can wear down the enamel on your teeth. Since you have weak teeth, you should definitely be careful about brushing too hard. There are electric toothbrushes that monitor pressure and shut off if you push too hard on your teeth.

Also, to strenghthen the enamel and ward off future cavities, you should try a fluroide rinse like ACT (that's the most common brand). I use it at night because you are not supposed to have anything - even water - in your mouth for 30 min after using it.

Good Luck!
-Mirabelle

Old 10-07-2006, 04:14 AM   #7
(female)

cherry_blossom HB User

hey i seen you left a comment im doing ok i have had lots of suport from my husband hes been the best threw this makeing sure everything is ok wirth me and not getting frustertaed he make me feel feel beauftul again i have had my period since and it seemed pretty normal its just gonna take a bit of time to get past osmething like this thanks for your comment
cherry blossom

Closed Thread