It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Have a question about my pulled tooth?

I had a back molar extracted on Monday (5 days ago). Is it safe to assume I'm out of the woods for a dry socket? My dentist put in something called a gel-foam or seal-foam or something like that, that's suppose to help it clot - has anyone else ever had this? He put a stitch in to hold it, and I go on Tuesday to get it out. Is there a chance he could pull the clot out with this foam thing, or isn't that something that would happen after 8 days? How long does the clot remain in an extraction area anyway? I mean, does the area heal and then the clot simply falls out one day?

Also, my husband tells me my breath isn't as 'fresh' as it should be - is this normal after an extraction? If so, what is it that produces the bad smell, just the blood and healing itself? I'm very self-conscious about it now that I know. He said it was awful the day of the extraction, and just mentioned it again this evening although he said it wasn't as bad as it was that first day.

Also, while I'm on here, I did want to ask about infection - how do you know if there is one or not, or don't you usually get an infection once the tooth is out? I had been on antibiotics for a week before he pulled it on Monday, and I took them for another three days after to finish up the 10 day supply, so I took my last one Thursday night. Is that normal procedure, or is it possible to get an infection, or still have one, even after ten days of antibiotics? I'm not in any pain, if that helps, I never really was, it's just a bit tender around the area as would be expected, I'm just a bit worried now about him taking that foam out.

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2006, 04:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User
Re: Have a question about my pulled tooth?

Wow- that's weird- I never heard about no foam. Must be something new they're doing??? If you have any concerns- go back to the dentist- he/she should be able to clear up any concerns..

Old 10-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

I went today, it's doing great.....the foam dissolves so there's nothing to take out but the suture.

The 'foam' is about 1/2" square and it's put down inside the cavity after a tooth is pulled, then they usually put a stitch across the top to hold it in. It's great for people like me who are on a blood thinner and will usually go back on it the day the tooth is pulled - they put this gel-foam in there as it helps with the clotting, and it also protects everything so there's no way a dry socket can form, it's stitched closed and heals very nicely. I don't know why all dentists don't use these after an extraction, and not just on people like me but on everyone.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
(female)

shakin HB User

Wow, that sounds great i wish they would use it on everyone it would solve a lot of problems. Pleased to hear your on the mend.

Closed Thread