It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
(male)

Reynolds726 HB User
Tooth Abscess and Penicillin

The other day I finally had so much pain that I had to visit the emergency room. I have a broken wisdom tooth with an abscess on the bottom left side and my lymphnode has swollen quite large on that side. Every time I try to sleep I would have severe pain in that tooth as well as an earache and a bad stabbing pain on the top of my head. I was prescribed 7 days worth of Penicillin VK and I'm currently on day 2. How long does it usually take while taking antibiotics for the swelling in my lymphnode to return to normal? The pain does seem less severe now so I'm hoping by day 7 the infection will be cleared up completely. Unfortunately I can't afford a dentist so I'll have to wait till the end of November before the dental clinic in my area can see me (I called at the beginning of October). I'm wondering if penicillin reacts with any of my daily vitamins. I currently take one multi-vitamin, two vitamin E, one or two vitamin C, and up to three garlic supplement. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
(male)

Reynolds726 HB User
Re: Tooth Abscess and Penicillin

After I finished the 7 days of penicillin the tooth and gum felt fine but now not long after I finished the prescription the unbearable pain is back. I guess it got reinfected which isn't surprising considering the tooth is just a huge concave hole. I also found out that the dental clinic which I have an appointment with won't remove wisdom teeth.. they send you to a dental surgeon which charges full price. I've called around and everywhere in my area even though I live in a small town charges $300 and up for a soft tissue impaction extraction. I've lived with this pain for months so it feels like it's part of my life now. Any advice?

Edit: I contacted a local dentist but they say that the visit will cost $150 and up just for xrays and taking a look at my tooth.. also he doesn't know whether he can remove the tooth or not until he looks at it and that he may have to refer me to an oral surgeon. My question is do i have to have a referal or can I visit a surgeon myself? A lot of the tooth is missing but there's enough left of the tooth walls to keep it above the gum line. The entire top is missing. Would a normal dentist be able to extract this type of tooth? Thank you.

Edit 2: I just got off the phone with a so called oral surgeon and they gave me an estimate for $800!!! For one wisdom tooth! Am I missing something here? Regular dentists can't pull a broken wisdom tooth?! It's just one freakin' tooth.. I've finally gathered up exactly $500 for a dentist and now i can't find one.. Can someone help? I live in Gaston County, NC.

Last edited by Reynolds726; 11-01-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
(female)

wordweaver HB User

Wow! I had a broken bicuspid for a year. I know exactly the kind of pain you are talking about. I kept waiting to get dental insurance. My first appointment was before the insurance kicked in. The dentist looked at it and took one x-ray for $46. Two rounds of penicillin didn't take care of my problem. They got me on a cancellation for a root canal. I know yours is getting pulled. I'm having a wisdom tooth pulled in January before it causes problems. My dentist is going to do it (I could go to an oral surgeon, but my dentist is so calming and I need that).

Are there any dental schools near you?

Old 11-02-2006, 01:45 AM   #4
(male)

Reynolds726 HB User

There's only one that I know of in this state.. but they have a drawing for who they accept and then there's up to a 6 month waiting period. I just need a dentist to take this one tooth out. The dentists i contacted say that they have to refer me to an oral surgeon for removing wisdom teeth. I've looked up exactly how wisdom teeth are removed and it looks very simple.. any dentist could do it. I'll have to go down the list of all the dentists in this area but so far most say they'll have to look at the tooth before they know if they can remove it which can cost $50 + for the visit and $50 + for xrays even if they can't remove it. I don't know where to go to find a good dentist in this area that can remove one tooth w/o the fees going up to $1,000.

Edit: Here's a basic drawing of the position of the tooth and the gumline as well as how the tooth is now concave. The tooth is above the gums but the top is just broken off. That's the exact position of the wisdom tooth since I have some old xrays from before it broke. (darn it.. i can't post urls or images)

Last edited by Reynolds726; 11-02-2006 at 02:03 AM.

Closed Thread