It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

Youngone22 HB User
Question Leaving partials in overnight?

Hi Everyone!
Just a quick question b/c I've seen some conflicting things...is it okay to leave a partial dentist in overnight if it's been cleaned? I just got a partial, i'm only 22, and i read that its okay to do as long as you take it out for at least 15 minutes to clean it...my dentist told me to take it out, but im self-conscious when its out and really want as little people to know about it as possible...i'm single at the moment so i have no problem taking it out now, but when i get a boyfriend, it will be a different scenario...just trying to get an idea...thanks!!!

Old 10-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Re: Leaving partials in overnight?

Ive read a couple places that if you have a partial you should sleep with it IN!

I have a upper denture and lower partial, I sleep with them out, but its more comftorable for me.

I do not know why they say to sleep with them in, but the same website says for a full plate to sleep with them in.

I'd say do what your dentist tells you to do.

Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Quite often it is personal preference that guides you. I have full dentures and take them out at night. I have heard that with partials they sometimes want you to leave it in to keep the natural teeth from shifting- yours may not be prone to shifting though.
Depending on how much of your mouth tissue is covered may be why the dentist is advising you one way or the other. Self esteem I am sure plays a big role in how you will cope with this partial denture. What teeth are you missing?

Sandy

Old 10-21-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
(female)

Youngone22 HB User

I'm missing 5 adult upper teeth...it's genetic, i just never developed adult permanents, and i only got the baby's pulled, b/c one of them was very loose, so we decided that it would just be better to pull them all then to watch them fall out one by one, which they probably would have done anyway after the one fell out. For me, it is definietly a look thing b/c i am so young...they dont really bother me when i sleep with them in, and ive noticed that when i do sleep with them out, and i put them back in, that the denture is very tight going back in. My dentist said that I should leave them in overnight b/c it gives my gums a rest and it promotes oral health, but my grandmother for example, has said she leaves hers in plenty of time. I was just trying to get some advice from the group...i appreciate it

Closed Thread