It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

jets54 HB User
Angry New Partial, But I Cannot Wear It

Hi, I just got a new upper denture and lower partial. I am very frustrated, for the past week I went to my dentist every day but one and complained my partial did not fit in my lower mouth. It literally falls out, and does not clamp into place despite two clamps. The silver metal shows over the remaining natural teeth in the front. Each time he says he does only a little adjusting at a time, and claims the partial in time will "settle" down and fit in my mouth. One of the aids told me to "stop being inpatient". because I said the partial was not fitting right.

I have been wearing an upper partial for over ten years before the denture, its my understanding it should at least fit in your mouth then you can add powder or adhesive to it. Am I being unreasonable? It seems to me that a new partial should at least stay in your mouth, even if it is loose! I have no insurance, and saved up money to get these. The dentist is not cooperative, and instead of adjusting the partial yesterday, he sawed away at the tooth yet he can see there is nothing holding it in place Is this atypical or do partials gradually sink into place as he claims? My mom has had 4 lower partials and she has never gone through something like this. To top it all off, they know I am dealing with other major medical problems, and its difficult for me to keep driving up there. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Re: New Partial, But I Cannot Wear It

I'm sorry your having such a difficult time. Sounds like you have a dentist like mine. Its NEVER their fault its ours. My partial fits snugly, but I have problems with my upper plate. Everytime I complain they put it in my lap.

I had a problem once with my partial to where it was falling out too, they adjusted the metal clasp and now I have no problems, its hard to get it out now. When you have a dentist like this it seems there is no where to turn.

I have no idea why we are treated this way, wish there was a way for me to help.

Only thing I can think of is to go in there and say I paid for these things and there is no reason they shouldn't fit!!!! Tell them your not leaving UNTIL they are fixed.

Hope

Old 10-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
(female)

ryrich HB User

I have worked in the dental field for 20+ years. You need to go back until your partial fits!! They will only adjust them alittle at a time, because it only can be tweeked slightly.. I wear a lower partial that replaces lower right teeth, and sometimes it does get loose, you are never suppose to be able to get it out with your tongue. It is over 10 years old , but because of my bite it loosens (not often) Yours is a different matter, it is new and it needs to be right or another one made!!! at no cost to you.
Good Luck .

Old 10-23-2006, 04:30 AM   #4
(female)

jets54 HB User

Thank you both for the feedback! My dentist said some gibberish like "Dont try to push it out with your tongue, your tongue is the strongest muscle in you mouth!" I am preparing to go again this morning, Last time he said, "trust me, I know what I am doing. We will keep on til we get it fitting right". Problem is, it does not fit at all! He knows darn well it does not fit. Urrrgggghhhh!!!! Again, thank you both for your reponses!

Old 10-23-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck today

I had a horrible experience with my upper when it was first made, my two front teeth were off to the left!! I noticed it the day I got home from extractions. For 3 weeks my dentist told me soft relines would "FIX" it, but I knew better, its where they placed the teeth duh! She would get irritated everytime I brought it up. I finally had it, I went to see the administrator and told them I was very displeased and even though this was my immediate I wasn't walking around for 6months like this. It worked they made me a brand new upper!!!

Things wont fix themselves, things naturally get looser over time not tighter!
I didn't scream or yell, I did make myself clear.

Hope

Old 10-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
(female)

jets54 HB User

Thank you Hope! All of the good advice worked! I just got back from him, and I told him I cannot wear this partial, can we make a new one? At first he talked about adjusting, and I told him I cannot keep coming in for adjustments nor it does not fit at all. I remained very calm and polite. He finally agreed to, thank goodness! He is actually very nice, which in a way made it harder to deal with , I sure hope the next one comes out better, which I go for the impression in about ten days

Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good Job!!!! Yes it very important that you remain polite but very persistant and show your not backing down.

I'm glad they are going to fix it for you, this should make it fit much better

Hope

Old 10-24-2006, 01:21 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

Hey! You gave me the nerve to speak up now- what about if it's all the lower front teeth?? They just said there was nothing to grab onto- but I have those "over" clasps, too, and it just falls right out...

Old 10-24-2006, 05:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did have this problem once with my partial but fortunately for me this is the ONLY thing my dentist didn't blame on me. She went right in and tightened the clasp and now they don't move!

Hmmm I don't know about just having front teeth lol I dont have any! I have a couple side ones and a back molar. But I would think they left them there so your partial would have something to lock onto. If not why bother keeping them in your mouth.

Hope

Old 10-24-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
(female)

Bonnye1 HB User

Your dentist should start OVER and have the partial made correctly. Contact the ADA and let them help you get this guy to do his job!!! You cant keep adjusting something that obviously will never fit.

Closed Thread