It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
(male)

SRT2 HB User
New dentures - how long to talk

I have new lower dentures. They feel "strange" even though my dentist
says the bite is good. I suppose the bite could feel strange because of not having lower teeth for a while.

How long does it take to talk "normally". I sound funny to myself.
"S" words are a problem and I have a whistle when I use "S" words.

Eating is also taking some time to get used to.

I think I talk better and eat better without the denture. LOL.

Last edited by SRT2; 10-23-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
(female)

NYtoTN HB User
Re: New dentures - how long to talk

It takes a lot of time and patience to get used to bottom dentures. I cried for the first couple of weeks. And rarely wore them. But then I put them in and was determined to get used to them. I even slept with them so that they would eventually feel normal. And eventually I got used to them. I still sleep with them. I only take them out to clean them. There are still some words that make me whistle. But it's not that bad.
A big problem that I had with the bottom dentures was that they felt so big. One thing that helped me to get used to them is that I had the dentist cut off the last tooth on both sides. That made such a big difference for me because I no longer felt like I had a mouthful of plastic.
Give yourself time. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

It takes awhile to talk properly. I'm 6months into this and my X's are still wayy off.

For some reason the more I wear them the more I hate them! When I have my teeth out I still talk like Elmer Fudd! My kids love that though...lol
Im their entertainment for the night!

Hope

Old 10-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

I have no trouble talking but that is because my last lowers had clips in them for the two teeth that was left. I had to have those two teeth pulled and had to get new dentures with no safety net but i did get use to talking all the years with my old dentures. My problem is eating it just takes to much time to chew it is not worth the trouble so I have lost to many lbs. I have to work on that. I also never take my dentures out only to clean them for a few min. Good luck they will feel natural sooner then you think.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem
I have no trouble talking but that is because my last lowers had clips in them for the two teeth that was left. I had to have those two teeth pulled and had to get new dentures with no safety net but i did get use to talking all the years with my old dentures. My problem is eating it just takes to much time to chew it is not worth the trouble so I have lost to many lbs. I have to work on that. I also never take my dentures out only to clean them for a few min. Good luck they will feel natural sooner then you think.
I have the same problem with chewing and weightloss!!!! But I found drinking Boost and having little snacks of banana's w/milk and pudding helped me. In one week I've gained 3pounds!!! I just make sure and count all the calories I take in.....I'm usually 115pounds, so to get back up to the weight and keep it there I have to take in 1596 calories a day.

Hope

Old 10-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4All
I have the same problem with chewing and weightloss!!!! But I found drinking Boost and having little snacks of banana's w/milk and pudding helped me. In one week I've gained 3pounds!!! I just make sure and count all the calories I take in.....I'm usually 115pounds, so to get back up to the weight and keep it there I have to take in 1596 calories a day.

Hope

I have been eating jars of peanut butter and pudding I gain a few pounds and then I lose it.I cannot drink ensure or boost since I have to run to the bathroom about an hour after drinking it. The Doctor said that there is to much protein in those drinks for me. He said for me to cut it with some water.I never thought it would be this hard to gain weight since I always had to watch my food intake.I just have to make up my mind that I will have to chew and take my time and eat and not give up. I just love the fact that for once in my life I look at a label to see which has the higher calories. My weight was between 115-117 and that is where I aim to be again.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

The ensure and boost luckily don't affect me in that way. I'm going to be starting a new medication for my fibromyalgia and I've heard you gain MUCHO weight on it, when I went to my rheumy yesterday and they weighed me I was shocked to see I went up 4 more pounds

I'm going to see how much weight I gain with the new med before I continue bulking up on my calorie intake.

Hope

(ps) peanut butter and milk are great to put on the pounds. Banana's are awesome to plus the are the perfect food.

Closed Thread