It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 07:10 AM   #1
(male)

JSM01 HB User
How are overbites fixed?

What sort of treatment are given to patients with overbites? Bracelets? Splints?
Are dental crowns used sometimes? Is surgery required?

Last edited by JSM01; 10-24-2006 at 10:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: How are overbites fixed?

Although I am not an expert - I believe braces or orthodontia is the traditional and conservative method to correct an overbite whether that be the standard railroad track metal braces, the plastic ones or the newer invisiline which are removable and look a lot like splints. A lot depends on the depth of the overbite, the position of the lower jaw and the location of your tm joints. I have never heard of crowns correcting an overbite and surgery to move the lower jaw forward is extreme - I would only do it if the overbite was that extreme and causing other problems or could not be corrected with some form of orthodontia or FJO.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
(male)

JSM01 HB User

When I close my mouth the lower front teeth is 3-4milimetres behind the upper front teeth. Would that be considered extreme or mild?

I'm going to the dentist on tuesday to have it checked out and corrected. What kind of treatment should I expect?

Old 10-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm not sure of the exact measurements of an mild or extreme overbite. Are you going to an orthodontist or your regular dentist? Before anything is done the dentist should take a panagram or head xray to see the location of your jaw, tm joints and base of the neck. This will tell them how far your teeth can be moved without comprimising your skeletal structure and will help them determine the best method as well. Sometimes teeth need to be removed and the other teeth repostioned to close the spaces. Sometimes the lower jaw needs to be pushed forward. Correcting an overbite is not an overnight accomplishment. Good luck - let me know how the appt goes.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

This is funny. I just logged on to ask the same question, and here it is. I've had an overbite all my life. I should have gotten it fixed when I was young, but my dentist was a bit negligent and at first said it didn't need to be fixed, then said that it should be fixed but it wouldn't be worth it because playing a musical instrument would just negate any treatment and it wouldn't work. Of course, he never actually referred me to an orthodontist to get an opinion on whether it would work or not. Besides, isn't that what retainers are for? Anyway, I'm more than a little annoyed that I could have had it fixed years ago (when my insurance would pay!), but now that I'm older orthodontics are no longer covered.

Anyway, my overbite is the result of a childhood finger-sucking habit (apparently my thumb wasn't good enough, so I used two fingers instead!). I'm hoping that it is just a simple matter of the slant of my front teeth, but I am worried that it may have affected my bone growth. When I close my mouth, my back teeth all line up with each other, but my front upper teeth come out about 5-6 mm forward of my lowers.

I have been thinking about getting it fixed for a few years, but the price was a concern. The price is still a concern, but I was recently in a wedding and when I looked at the pictures I really saw how bad my teeth look. I have these really weird facial expressions from the side, and even from the front because my teeth are sticking out and my lips are stretching over them.

I've got two appointments scheduled for this week. One Wednesday and one Thursday. I'm hoping for the best. But I was wondering if anybody has any experience with what the "typical" treatment is and costs, so I can judge the worthiness of these orthodontists. I don't want to end up getting all kinds of unnecessary stuff done, or pay too much. But I also want to make sure that I get good results.

Are braces on the lower teeth usually needed for an overbite, or just on the uppers?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
(female)

rainbow_mandi HB User

Hey!
Well, I had a 'severe' overbite. No idea what caused it, I never sucked a dummy, fingers or thumbs. Just bad luck I guess!
I had 'train track' braces on upper and lower teeth (They use the brackets on the lower teeth to attach elastic bands etc in the treatment on the top teeth) for three and a half years. I now still have the overbite, but also have gaps between my teeth because they extracted a tooth on each side and the tooth movement didn't fill the gap completely.
I never wanted my braces but my Mum made me get them as she said I'd regret it when I was older. Also, I think she wanted me to take the chance of getting free NHS treatment.
I wish now I had never had the treatment, as I feel the overbite is pretty much the same but now I have these gaps too which I didn't have before. The work on my lower jaw was pretty simple and effective but I feel that the attempt at overbite correction was a waste of a lot of my time (attending appointments) and caused me a lot of pain after tightenings etc all for nothing really.
I don't want to put you off if you want the treatment, but thought I should share my story so you would know it doesn't always work out.
Best wishes
Amanda x

Old 10-31-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I got braces in my early 20's to correct my overbite and now wish I hadn't either - they removed teeth, I wore brackets and bands on the upper and lower and several years later I eventually I developed large spaces and now severe tmj - which I am now told braces can cause especially if bicuspids are removed. Kind of wish I had my old overbite back no matter how unslightly since at least I was not in any pain and did not have tmj. But the decision is a personal one often based on where you are in your life and how you see yourself or want others to see you. For some it works out very well - my Aunt did it when she was in her late 40's with no repercussions that I know of and that was almost 20 yrs ago and her teeth still look good.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
(male)

JSM01 HB User

Hi guys, just came back from the dentist. Took an x-ray of my mouth and checked my bite. He said my overbite was quite mild and the jaw joints were a bit off. By that he meant when opening or closing my mouth instead of going up and down in a straight line it goes in a zig-zag.

I told him about the discomfort in the joints and the clicking sound, and how when I try to close my mouth in a normal position all the pressure is on the frontal teeth, since the molars don't rest on each other. The front teeth are really sensitive as if they were being touched by ice.

Heres the problem. Bracelets won't do he told me.

He said either live with it
OR
He can grind down the front teeth.

This will allow my molars in the rear to rest on each other and relieve the pressure on the front teeth. It dosen't have to be grinded down alot, only a tiny bit.

I said I'll think about it but I'm pretty skeptical. Are there any long term risk, will my teeth get weaker and fall out if I file it down?

Should I go back and get it filed down a bit?

Last edited by JSM01; 11-01-2006 at 03:00 AM.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wouldn't do it unless you know for sure it won't cause other problems like tmj. There are other less permanent ways of determining if lower front teeth will work such as wearing a splint that equalizes your bite - basically it will build up the back teeth so all teeth can rest at the same time. If you get good results with the splint then you can have your back teeth permanently corrected with crowns or overlays to maintain the same bite. If you file down your front teeth you are basically changing the amt of space between your upper and lower teeth which could add pressure or stress to the tm joints. Was this your regular dentist that suggested this?

Old 11-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
(female)

Suzq222 HB User

I agree, please do not have your teeth filed, no matter how little the dentist told you. I've had it done and regret it now. Every time the neuromuscular dentist would file the right side, the left would feel terrible. Then vice verser. I got into a terrible cycle, then my front teeth started hitting. You said you were skeptical, trust your gut feelings!!!

Old 11-03-2006, 03:58 AM   #11
(male)

JSM01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise
I wouldn't do it unless you know for sure it won't cause other problems like tmj. There are other less permanent ways of determining if lower front teeth will work such as wearing a splint that equalizes your bite - basically it will build up the back teeth so all teeth can rest at the same time. If you get good results with the splint then you can have your back teeth permanently corrected with crowns or overlays to maintain the same bite. If you file down your front teeth you are basically changing the amt of space between your upper and lower teeth which could add pressure or stress to the tm joints. Was this your regular dentist that suggested this?
Nope, this was not my regular dentist since I don't have one.

i don't think I'll be filing my teeth, don't think its worth it cause if i file my front teeth then some more teeth at the back will probably be filed down as well and it'll get all complicated. Including the fact that there could be repurcussions in thef future (teeth will get too weak).

I will try to see another doctor, probably an orthodontist. I'm hoping he will not give me the same answer as the one from the the dentist and find a more suitable safer way of treating this. I'll this thread updated.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

That sounds good - I am curious as well as what the ortho will suggest. Try and pick one that is trained in FJO - functional jaw orthotics. Hope to hear from you soon.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
(male)

Braced Face HB User

orthodontics is the only way to fix crowded or overbites, braces be them self will not correct it , you will need to wear rubberbands with your braces called elastics , they come in different sizes an pressures, you may also need other appliance's such as expander's . lipbumpers, or even HEADGEAR such as i'm wearing to correct it , most case's run from 3.800 to 6.000 dollars an take 18 to 36 months to finish , after that time you would be fitted for retainer wear , hope this helps (BRACEFACE)(+=+=+=+=+=+=+) all aboard

Old 11-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #14
(male)

JSM01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braced Face
orthodontics is the only way to fix crowded or overbites, braces be them self will not correct it , you will need to wear rubberbands with your braces called elastics , they come in different sizes an pressures, you may also need other appliance's such as expander's . lipbumpers, or even HEADGEAR such as i'm wearing to correct it , most case's run from 3.800 to 6.000 dollars an take 18 to 36 months to finish , after that time you would be fitted for retainer wear , hope this helps (BRACEFACE)(+=+=+=+=+=+=+) all aboard
this headgears do you have to wear them 24/7?

Old 11-10-2006, 05:05 AM   #15
(male)

Braced Face HB User

hi , at first i was wearing my headgear 22 hours an day , however now i can wear it 10 to 12 hours a day , as my overbite has got better the hours an pressure on the facebow have got better , i try just wearing to sleep in now but there are nights i just don't want to sleep in it ,so i'll wear it in the day , some people don't like wearing there headgear out in public but it doesn't bother me , hope this helps (+=+=BRACED FACE=+=+) ALL A BOARD

Closed Thread