It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

annaf HB User
How long do root canals last and how many is too many?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by annaf; 01-30-2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 10-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
(female)

annaf HB User
Re: How long do root canals last and how many is too many?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by annaf; 01-30-2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Hi there!
I think it is hard to say what is best, as it depends from person to person. I was involved in a car accident over 20 years ago and had 4 front lower teeth half knocked out. The dentist root canaled them and put crowns on them. Never had any problems until about a years ago, one of them had an infection under it. THe endodontist retreated the tooth, but I won't know if it worked until January, when I go back. The tooth never bothered me, so I didn't have pain. Ever since they did the retreatment, it never felt completely right, but not painful. So, I don't know what the long term prognosis will be. If I were to get another root canal I would only got to an endodontist and not a general dentist. But I have been doing a lot of reading on root canals.. and there is much controversy...
Maybe someone else will come along with more insight!

Old 10-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I have had several root canals - upper front, canines and molars - I think so far I have had 6 or 7. As far as I know all your teeth can have root canals in them with no adverse affects - as long as the canal stays clear with good oral hygiene and the crowns fit properly (if they are crowned). My front tooth was fine for more than 20 years with an occasional twinge from time to time - my molars never bothered me afterwards either - but one canine had to be redone and still bothers me - the only difference being that a regular dentist did the initial root canal whereas an endontist did the others. Now I am told the canine has a strained ligament from an improperly fitted crown so it may never be pain free and may have to be removed. I did know someone a while back that had all her teeth root canaled and crowned only to lose them all a year later to periodontal disease - so a lot depends on the overall health of your gums and bones, your oral hygiene, and the dentist who does it. I would tend to agree that although they are more expensive an endodontist is better trained in ensuring the longevity of a tooth needing a root canal and other advanced forms of treatment.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
(female)

WalksGINGERly HB User

My first root canal was about 10 years ago, a canine. I asked him then how long they last and he said 15 years, but last longer with no problems if you follow good dental health with frequent cleanings and of course flossing everyday.
I have had four more since then. I have a molar an endodontist did 4 years ago that is causing problems, keeps getting infected (abscessed) and my general dentist said it was called a "failed root canal,' Which means some of the root is still there and the tooth will eventually crack and will need to be pulled.
My story, GINGER

Old 10-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
(female)

annaf HB User

Thanks for the answers !
Its nice to hear that some root canals do last for a loooong time..I'm only 26 and I am really scared about having failed root canals and dentures at an early age..my in-laws and husband are not very supportive and this is an embarrasing problem that I kind of have to deal with on my own wothout much supprt..
I have another question - did anybody here have root canals when they were really young - in your twneties for instance...did they last till a respectabel age when other people your age are also having trouble with their teeth - I would like to think that if I get all the bothersome teeth root canalled and taken care of now..atleast for another 20-30 years I will be able to live like most people and not deal with my teeth on a daily basis. My hygiene is now impeccable..atleast I hope so - I have also cut sugars and brush after almost every meal and floss everyday.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Well, I had 4 front lower teeth root canaled when I was 19 or 20, don't remember now, due to an accident, in which half of the tooth broke off on all 4. Only one is giving me trouble now, at 43, so not too bad I am hoping this one will hang around for a while, will find out more in January, when I go back to the dentist to check on the tooth that root canal retreatment.

Closed Thread