It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
(male)

dylar74 HB User
Periodontal Disease

I have just found out about this disease. It started with one of my teeth being loose and extreme pain in one area. I have been to see the dentist and have had the deep cleaning done. I will not go back till next week. I was never taught to go to the dentist, and get cleanings. I do not know what to expect or the costs associated with this. After the deep cleaning that was just performed, I have noticed that all pain is pretty much gone. The only pain I feel is from the cleaning itself, though my gums are still bleeding. They told me to expect that my gums would bleed, and tissue would slough off. After reading the earlier accounts, I fear the worse. What is this scaling about....and what is this surgery? I will not find out about the selection until next week. I am looking for information, so I know my alternatives upon visiting the doctor again. Thanks...........

Old 10-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Periodontal Disease

Regular cleanings clean around the tooth and surface of the gum line. These should generally be done 2-3 times a year by your dentist depending on how much tartar and plaque build up between visits. Based on your visits with him the dentist should tell you how often he thinks you should get cleanings to keep things in check. First stage periodontal disease is usually treated with a deep cleaning (some call it sandblasting) or scaling. Deep cleanings or scalings go further down below the gum line. For some people deep cleanings done periodically keep the disease in check - along with good oral hygiene and frequent check ups. Should the disease continue to progress or is already at the intermediate or advanced stages a periodontist may recommend flap surgery - this is where they open the gums up and scrape the bone to clean it and then stitch it back up. There have been many advancements made over the years which include alternative medications and laser treatments that make this surgery more of a last resort so ask about newer treatments as well. Take it slow - since you have just had the cleaning the dr will want to check you periodically now to see how things continue to look or if there are any signs that more advanced treatments are required. Ask him for things you can do at home to help keep it in check - water piks, anitbacterial rinses, proxy brushes, electric tooth brushes, natural supplements, flossing, etc. Obviously a loose tooth is not a good sign but the gum tissue should start to tighten around the tooth after the cleanings if this is all you needed. If not then more advanced treatments may be needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread