It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Dental Dilema

I'll try and make a long story short. Former dentist didn't watch me carefully, even though I was there every 4 months for cleanings. I ended up with periodontal disease and lost a molar. I had extensive gum surgery. Because I have bone loss, my 4 front, lower teeth are mobile. I now have a splint for these teeth. The splint is only a temporary solution, because eventually, my new dentist told me, I will have to have them removed and a bridge made. He doesn't think implants could be done because of the bone loss. He also told me that the 2 teeth on either side (eye teeth), may not support a bridge. If that's the case, it would involve maybe having root canals on the other teeth, and capping them. He is going to consult with the periodontist. My next visit is in February, so I'm not rushing into anything now. If the 4 front teeth have to come out eventually, I wouldn't mind having a bridge (using the 2 eye teeth) as supports. The thought of having root canals and crowns is not good. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Old 11-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Dental Dilema

I did - but I had implants done which lasted about 12 years - the bone loss continued despite perio treatments and bone grafts - and now I am wearing an over denture that covers the missing teeth and the other remaining side/back teeth or molars. If your eye teeth are strong enough to maintain the bridge you shouldn't have any problems getting used the brdige at all. You need to clean under it so your oral hygeine routine changes a little but other than that it will still give you just about the same amount of stability you have with your natural teeth to eat what you want. While you may not need the root canals now and can opt to just have those teeth filed down to hold the bridge sometimes filing down the teeth damages the nerve requiring a root canal down the road - so its kind of better to do it before the bridge is made so that its not drilled into once in place. I would have an endodontist do the root canals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Re: Dental Dilema

Thanks Thelma Louise. I would definately have an endodontist do the root canals. My general dentist doesn't pull teeth - I would have to go to an oral surgeon to have the extractions. As far as cleaning under the bridge, I'm very used to that - I use proxa brushes as well as a threader and floss. My bathroom looks like a dentists' office!! I now know that bone loss cannot be stopped - it's discouraging. All I see are $$$ signs floating around!!!

Closed Thread