It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User
question about removing own tarter and plaque

I dont have another dentist apt until jan and would like to remove some of the surface plaque and tarter from my teeth, i see in the stores they sell dental scalers and such. I was just wondering tho is it safe to do so? Are there any percautions before doing so? I have a heart issue but nothing serious, just skipped beats. Any advice would be nice, thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: question about removing own tarter and plaque

I used to get a lot of build up on the insides of my bottom front teeth and would use a metal dental scaler - its better than letting it continue to build up and cause gingivits or worse. Once you get the hang of it is pretty easy to control how much pressure needed to remove the plaque without jabbing or hurting yourself. Just make sure to keep the dental scaler clean or sterilize with alchol before using it. I always tried to scrape upwards so I could remove the plaque and not swallow it - and then did a thorogh rinse afterwards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 AM   #3
(female)

scottswife HB User

I would leave that up to the hygienists. You can go more often than every 6 months... but you might have to pay for it if your insurance doesn't. Also... make sure you are brushing twice a day... you might build up tartar fast and brushing would help. Tartar control toothpaste helps too.

Make sure you are flossing as well. Its amazing how much that helps.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
(male)

james-james HB User

Just follow Scottswife and do so. This treatment has to be done by professional hygienists. Big amount of plaque hide in your gum. No one can clean it out by himself without any hurting. BUt dont do this treatment too much than half a year. That will granulate the surface of your teeth which result in more tartar building up.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

Well, don't take MY advice, but I used to scrape it off with a safety pin or a nail file. Just what I could see and get to-I DID get off some pretty big chunks, though! (LOL) and flossing, also can break chunks loose.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User

i used a scaler myself and it got the surface tarter off pretty well, now making a apt to have the rest removed too.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I use a scaler and a small mirror myself for years and years...on myself and on my partner. THere's LOTS I can do but I'm not as thorough as a dentist can be. Also, I DON'T use anaethesia so I have to have a delicate touch.

It's not really all that hard with the proper tool. Easiest with the fronts of the front teeth of course.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-10-2006 at 06:08 AM.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #8
(female)

ltad HB User

i just bought one of those "hook" scrapy things lol, i only seems to get tartar on my inside lower front teeth, ive just tried scrapping and it doesnt seem to be shifting, and suggestions as to how to soften or pick the tartar??

I really do not have an money to pay for a dentist to do it and iam also have a fear of the dentist too

Old 12-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Check your scaler - the one I have has little ridges on one side - so if you use the side of the scaler as you scrape it grabs the tarter. Also since my scaler is thicker than what the dentist uses and has a rounder tip, I found that just rubbing the rounded tip back and forth over the tarter would slowly wear it away. You should be able to see the tartar start to either break off or stick to the scaler as you scrape the tooth, either with the tip or the side of the scaler. It just takes some practice.

Closed Thread