It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
(female)

qatie55 HB User
Dry socket pain/healing

I had my wisdom teeth removed 3 weeks ago. After 3 days, I developed dry sockets in both of the lower 'holes'. They were very painful and my oral surgeon packed them with clove oil dressing every other day for about a week and a half. My left side felt better after 3 changes of dressing, so the last time I went, he only packed the right side. The next day, I had pain in the left side (the unpacked side) worse than it had ever been. When I went back, he removed the dressing from the right side (which was feeling ok) and told me that both sides were healed. I told him that the left side was hurting very badly again and he kind of brushed me off and told me i was probably clenching my jaw at night. He said that the bone is not exposed and that i should just take advil as needed. I have been taking advil every four hours for the last 2 weeks, about 12 tablets a day which is much more than recommended. I still have a throbbing, shooting pain going from my left socket into my ear. I am wondering if it is normal for pain to still be bad even after the socket is technically 'healed'. How long should it hurt once they stop packing it? My surgeon is not a very likeable character and i am contemplating consulting a regular dentist for a second opinion, but im not sure if this is within their area of knowledge. Does anyone know how long the pain should last, or have any pain management tips? It would be sooo nice to be able to sleep through the night....I have read a lot about using clove oil but there seem to be a lot of mixed messages out there, i would LOVE to releive the pain, but i do not want to impede the healing process. PLEASE help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread