It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 05:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Penicillin Dosage

I have an appointment for a crowned molar to be pulled on Tuesday at a Medical School. After about a YEAR of acting up and calming down, it is time for it to go. It's all kinds of leaky around the crown so there is less chance of infection going DOWNWARDS...but the tooth has 3 live roots...and a probable dead one.
Murphy's Law, of COURSE, has come into play and it is beginning to hurt a lot as of last evening...almost like it KNOWS I am saying bye-bye to it.

I e-mailed my MD yesterday (before the pain started) and asked for a prescription for a couple grams of amoxicillin as a loading dose before surgery since I have an older heart stent...he thought nothing would be necessary.

NOW, with the pain, could I be taking something antibiotic from now until Tuesday to mitigate my chances of getting major abcess pain. I have spent a couple nights of my life in such horrific dental pain that I will do anything to avoid it until this sucker can be yanked. I don't want to cause a medical emergency fuss over the weekend if I could avoid it because in a big medical school things work more smoothly following protocol.

Of course there is ALWAYS the chance that the tooth will calm down again, BUT!

I have a bottle of 500 mg. penicilllin-V. If anyone thinks that taking it would be wise for 4 days to "temper" any infection and lessen the chance of extraordinary pain, let me know what you think would be a wise dosing schedule.
Any OTC pain killers that are especially good for tooth pain?

Thanks.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-17-2006 at 05:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
(female)

rainbow_mandi HB User
Re: Penicillin Dosage

It's never a good idea to take medications for conditions other than what they've been prescribed for. I would get in touch with the dentist carrying out the procedure or re-contact your doctor with regards to the antibiotics if you feel they would be necessary.
Ibuprofen is one on the best OTC painkillers for toothache as it is anti-inflammatory as well as analgesic.
Hope all goes well!

Old 11-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I have always found NSAIDS such as Aleve (AKA Naproxen) very good with dental pain. Start out with 2 tablets (250 mg each) for the first 12 hrs and then 1 every 12 hrs. - if necessary you can take up to 4-6 tablets or up to 1500 mg per day if the pain is very severe. But take it with something to eat or drink if you tend to have a sensitive stomach.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
(female)

kj_johnson HB User
Cool Re: Penicillin Dosage

I wouldn't have a problem taking the penicillin. I don't know how I would take them though. I have mitral valve prolapse and even though it's not serious, I always have to take 2000 milligrams before any dentist appointment. It sure wouldn't hurt anything to take it (imoho) kj

Old 11-19-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I have always found NSAIDS such as Aleve (AKA Naproxen) very good with dental pain. Start out with 2 tablets (250 mg each) for the first 12 hrs and then 1 every 12 hrs. - if necessary you can take up to 4-6 tablets or up to 1500 mg per day if the pain is very severe.
Funny you should mention that, TL. ALLEVE is my favorite OTC analgesic...far easier on my stomach than ibuprofen...better even than codeine... and thus I HAVE been taking it. I have the 220 mg. generic and though the bottle says "maximum 3 per 24 hours" my web search found that more can be tolerable (I'm also 6'2 and 200 pounds.)
So I am taking the naproxyn-sodium every 6 hours and the penicillin every 8 hours.

Today the pain and swelling is better than it was last night so, as long as I can hold abscess at bay, I'll make it to Tuesday morning's extraction. I think the penicillin is finally causing the abscess to retreat...maxillary gland less swollen.

If pain increases I'll push the Alleve to every 4 hours for a total of about 1300 mg./day.

Worst thing is that WHEN I sleep...I dream of horrid dental procedures!

Thank you everybody.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-19-2006 at 06:29 AM.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
(female)

rainbow_mandi HB User

Gosh, is Naproxen OTC in the States??? I never knew that. It's prescription only here.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes it is mandi. A VERY nice nicety.

I bought a bottle of 300 caplets of the 220 mg. size naproxen-sodium for only $9 at my favorite warehouse store...that's $.03 apiece.

When they were "presciption only" they cost about a ZILLION times that much.

So don't forget to pick up a bottle on your next trip to New York!

Last edited by Lenin; 11-20-2006 at 05:43 AM.

Closed Thread