It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
(male)

DCXfan HB User
Question I need root canals- can I wait?

I need 2 root canals and cannot afford it w/ my current insurance. My company has a dental plan, but I have to wait a couple of months before Iím eligible to enroll. Are there consequences to waiting too long to have a root canal completed? And if so, how long is too long? If I should not wait, I need to know so I can go to my dentist and arrange the procedure, as well as the payment plan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: I need root canals- can I wait?

This may be bending the rules a bit but if you know the dentist fairly well you could expain your situation to him and ask him if he would be willing to do the root canals now with you paying either 1/4 or 1/2 of the fee upfront and then submitting the claims later when you are eligible for the dental plan. If he's a good dentist and really feels the teeth can not wait to be fixed he may go for it.

The risk in not doing the root canals is that an infection can develop (usually at the most in-opportune time, like on a Sunday when no one is available) and they can be very painful. If they only recently started bothering you or are not bothering you at all even though they do need the root canals you may be able to go a few months with no problem - but you never can tell. If you do wait you may want to avoid chewing too heavily on the teeth in the meantime if possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
(female)

rugrat18 HB User

hi. this is my first time posting. Just wanted to let you know. In nov. 2005 I went to the dentist and was told I needed a root canal on my lower right molar, 2nd from the back. At that my dad got mad and embarassed me really badly,( I am a minor). So I didn't go back to the dentist until december 19,2006. Which it was a different dentist. And the only reason why I went was because I thought it was infected. Which it was. So mine last more than a year and the only problem I've had with it is that sometimes food gets stuck in the whole and that it is sensitive to cold. He put me on antibiotics to get rid of the infection and then Ill have to get a root canal. But I was thinking of having it pulled and having my wisdom tooth to replace it. My dentist told me that my molar has stronger roots than my wisdom tooth. But I have read over the internet that they can work perfectly in replacing that tooth. Bad teeth run in my family. Which is hard for me to grasp. My uncle had to have dentures put in through his mouth a couple of years ago. It scares me to think that it could happen to me. But now I'm rambling on about my problems. lol. So I'l stop. I hope this helped. =)

Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
(female)

rugrat18 HB User

hi. this is my first time posting. Just wanted to let you know. In nov. 2005 I went to the dentist and was told I needed a root canal on my lower right molar, 2nd from the back. At that my dad got mad and embarassed me really badly,( I am a minor). So I didn't go back to the dentist until december 19,2006. Which it was a different dentist. And the only reason why I went was because I thought it was infected. Which it was. So mine last more than a year and the only problem I've had with it is that sometimes food gets stuck in the whole and that it is sensitive to cold. He put me on antibiotics to get rid of the infection and then Ill have to get a root canal. But I was thinking of having it pulled and having my wisdom tooth to replace it. My dentist told me that my molar has stronger roots than my wisdom tooth. But I have read over the internet that they can work perfectly in replacing that tooth. Bad teeth run in my family. Which is hard for me to grasp. My uncle had to have dentures put in through his mouth a couple of years ago. It scares me to think that it could happen to me. But now I'm rambling on about my problems. lol. So I'l stop. I hope this helped. =)

Old 12-20-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
(female)

rugrat18 HB User

Closed Thread