It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
(female)

BookwormQberry HB User
Dental probs related to head meds

For the past 10 months I have been taking a combo of Topamax and Lyrica for my miagraine preventive along with 10/325 hydrocodone for pain. For two yearsI edged up from 50mgs to 200mgs of topamax with moderate success but the side effects finally won. Ten months ago I then went down to 100mgs of topamax and started 150mgs of Lyrica for 4 months I was nearly headache free then they started creeping in a month or two later. After another 4 months I was about to scream so I was upped to 225mgs of Lyrica. Here we are 2 months later a little better except for one thing...since I have been on this combo I have had FIFTEEN cavities pop up in my teeth. Has anyone else had anything like this? Nothing else in my life has changed, diet, drinking habits, water, nothing...

Old 12-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
(female)

BookwormQberry HB User
Re: Dental probs related to head meds

Thanks for the reply and this could be the problem, except that I am experiencing increased saliva output. I actually wake up choking at night sometimes and when I go to the dentist I feel like I am going to drowned. My dentist claims that I'm not brushing enough (or correctly) but I think that 2-3 times a day for 5 mins each time is a plenty. My diet could use some work in general but I've not changed anything recently.

Thanks for the help though, let me know if there is anything else you find. I will try the SF gum.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Dental probs related to head meds

I would agree that the meds may be the cause. I know certain heart and BP meds can cause gum bleeding, bone loss and evenutal tooth loss. I am just guessing, but its possible these meds alter your bodies ability to absorb certain nutrients or fight off certain bacteria or reduce your bodies production of bacteria fighting enzymes (so although you are salivating more its not as affective in clearing the bacteria).

Drugs can do so much more than what their main goal is intended for - its usually in very fine print that requires a magnifying glass to read and is labled as "Very unlikely or less than 1% of people tested developed ... blah,blah,blah". If you are like me you fall into the 1% category.

Closed Thread