It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

laskalady HB User
Crown but no root canal?

Hello everyone,

Does anyone think its a good idea to get a crown, but not a root canal? Thats what I did and my doc told me if i start to have pain that i'll need a root canal. I have some pain, but not that much...does this mean I need a root canal or this normal from getting a crown? I got the temp. crown yesterday. I somehow wish I 'd just gotten the root canal also b/c now i'm really nervous about needing one. Has anyone here tried this route, trying to avoid a root canal? He put some stuff to try to avoid the root canal and im not sure what its called, but please give suggestions..advice..thanks !

Last edited by laskalady; 12-15-2006 at 05:28 PM.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Crown but no root canal?

I have done this on 3 teeth- if the tooth was pretty healthy to begin with, no deep cavities you could be OK. Generally it is the prepping of the tooth for the crown that traumatizes or damages the nerve so although today it feels fine and could remain so for many, many years - suddenly one day it may start to hurt and develop an abcess and need a root canal. This is why many dentists recommend you do it now b/c it MAY happen down the road and then they will have to drill through the crown to do the root canal. But even if this does happen eventually, they can put a cement filling in the crown. although most will suggest you replace the crown to avoid a chance of decay from developing. But even root canaled teeth with perfect crowns can develop future abcesses so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm really not crazy about having root canals done as a precautionary measure - but to save a tooth that is infected I would do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
(female)

laskalady HB User

Thanks so much!! I think the problem was that there was a big filling and since i had an open space next to that tooth there was some decay that the dentist had to drill out..he said we were close to the nerve, but he put something in in there..and some medicine..im not sure what that was..i just hope it doesnt start hurting...b/c this would mean i need a root canal i guess. well i'm glad someone has tried this route also.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I have had several crowns with no root canals and so far so good - knock on wood - (some were done several years ago). I think that unless your tooth is abcessed you should be fine, at least for the time being. I have never heard of going through the aggrevation and expense of a root canal just as a precaution.

Nancy

Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I just lost one that had served me okay for 20 years. It NEVER was a perfect fit an was placed over an old amalgam. A teeny bit of rot either was left under the amalgam or else it leaked from the side and the rot went down the nerve and ascessed.
FEW things hurt worse than an abscess UNDER a sealed tooth. No where for the pus to go but into the jawbone.
Usually when this kind of situation develops it's too late to save the tooth.

BUT a well done crown on a live tooth can sometimes last half a lifetime IF DONE RIGHT...but those last three words are the rub!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-16-2006 at 06:35 AM.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
(female)

laskalady HB User

Lenin,
Sorry to hear about that! I really hope mine has been done right. I'm glad at least that it did last that long. This dentist does seem very thorough, so lets hope. Did any of you guys experience any sort of pain at all after your crowns? I actually got an inlay, which is a crown but I guess its taking away less of the tooth. I've been getting some light pain, but nothing that is too much to handle. I'm just wondering if this is normal OR if i'm leaning towards the RT. I hope not...really!

Last edited by laskalady; 12-16-2006 at 08:23 AM.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I think any type of prepping (filing or drilling) of a tooth can cause some sensitivity (ache, trob, soreness when chewing) for a few days to a couple weeks - any longer and I would get suspcious. Also, if its a temp, it may not be abutting along the gum line properly so this should go away once the perm crown is done.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #8
(female)

laskalady HB User

Thanks for the response! Its not when I chew as I"m not chewing on that side at all. Its day 4 and i'm still having some discomforting sensation. Hopefully it will stop completely. Does anyone know if theres any possibility to getting through 2 weeks, getting the new crown...and suddenly having pain requiring the root canal? I just dont want to have to get my permanent crown drilled out and go through all of that after my crown is in.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Pain with crown> Yeah!
My molar crown that I just lost was ill fitting from the get go. It felt as if the cap was too big and over-bit into the gum rather than making a clean fit. That gum was completely healthy beforehand.
It hurt and bled for 10 years every time I cam near it with a toothbrush, floss or a water-pick. Not the tooth, just the poor gum. My gums are VERY happy to have this MF out. By the time the gum FINALLY accustomed itself to the tooth, the abscessing started.

I have 4 teeth capped or capped/root canalled/posted and crowned within the last 20 years.
I have lost one of the capped ones and one with the WORKS. Another with the WORKS looks suspect and they want to redo the whole shebang...new everything. I said NO, I'll wait.
So of the 4, I have one cap surving without risk. It is, of course, the stupidest UGLIEST thing you have ever seen...I could have made a better looking one out of the stuff they fill fenders with! Inn retrospect, I'd have been far better off if each was pulled instead and had a removable partial made (and added to) It's what I;m going to wind up with anyway and all the pain and $$$$ are down the drain.

I guess that's what I get for going to a dentist who had just changed his name from Helen Keller! ...Well actually !

It's too bad that dentistry is such a "science" that it takes decades to find out what an incompetent jerk one has been paying a small fortune to.

Old Pennsylvania Dutchism:
Ve get too fast old, and too slow Schmart!

laskalady,
Grinding for an inlay or crown CAN so disturb a root that it goes into death throes. And it can happen fast. It isn't common but it isn't rare either: watchful waiting is all you can do. Most often the tooth recovers from the trauma and the pain ceases. Probably an X-ray is a decent idea.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-18-2006 at 08:57 AM.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

cstep HB User

[Removed] I am currently in college for dental hygien. When there is a large amount of decay, the doctor will place a desensitizer, usually dycal or some other form. Then if they wish to place a crown, most doctors will let you wear the temp crown to make sure you won't need one. If you are having soreness with the temp crown-remember that most of them aren't that great of a fit, and if your occlusion (the surfaces of your teeth that come together when you chew) is off my the slightest bit, it can cause discomfort. It sucks because it is hard to tell whether or not you will need a root canal later on, and I know they are expensive-I have had two. Some signs that you may need a root canal are-severe sensitivity to cold(hold a very small pointed piece of ice only on that tooth-endodontist use a special spray)-if it hurts when you bite down-you'll know, you'll feel like you want to jump out of your skin. any formation of a pimple like sac on the gum between your cheek and your gums. If you do need a root canal, please see an endodontist, they specialize in this-I have worked for one in the past and 85% of all our patient were root canals that we had to redo from a general dentist trying to do it. I wish you all the best. There is a saying in dentistry that says 'every root canal needs a crown, but every crown doesn't need a root canal.

[We ask that members do not mention their professional title. This would include mentioning that you work with medical professionals as an assistant. Please read more by clicking the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 12-21-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
(female)

laskalady HB User

Lenin, thanks again for all of the info!

Cstep,
You're information has been particulary helpful as well! I do believe that the dentist did put this on my tooth, b/c he found some decay after drilling. What does a dsensitizer do? Is it a medicine or padding of some sort? You mentioned about the occlusion being off, well mine is probably off as I'm wearing a 24/7 hard plastic horseshoe splint for my TMJD. Ive had some soreness off and on, and I've tried to rationalize if this is regular or just from the temp crown. I believe I might be okay as I've had no severe pain or sensitivity to hot or cold yet. I really hope that I don't need one after I get the crown...do you think 3 weeks is enough to know if i'll need a root canal or not? I just would hate to start throbbing once my crown is in! Thanks again!
Please respond.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
(female)

lucky3s HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laskalady
Hello everyone,

Does anyone think its a good idea to get a crown, but not a root canal? Thats what I did and my doc told me if i start to have pain that i'll need a root canal. I have some pain, but not that much...does this mean I need a root canal or this normal from getting a crown? I got the temp. crown yesterday. I somehow wish I 'd just gotten the root canal also b/c now i'm really nervous about needing one. Has anyone here tried this route, trying to avoid a root canal? He put some stuff to try to avoid the root canal and im not sure what its called, but please give suggestions..advice..thanks !
hi laskalady -
how did your saga end? i hope without much pain - physical and financial!

my story:
slight chip in enamel of tooth (upper left molar #15) - NO PAIN AT ALL! -> composite fill at dentist's - terrible pain (9 on 1-10 scale) during filling - perhaps tooth cracked during procedure? -> pain to "slightest" of touch and chewing only; NO PAIN TO HOT/COLD -> repeat steps 2 and 3 two times -> visits to endodontist and other dentist - root canal suggested -> regular dentist prepped for crown hoping to spread out biting pressure and relieve pain -> currently sporting a temp crown, which fits quite well.

definite reduction of pain! presently, pain rates 2 on 1-10 scale - ONLY when biting on harder foods. NO PAIN AT OTHER TIMES.

all docs believe - based on symptoms - that there is a crack in the tooth. three x-rays (two standard; one digital) do not show supporting evidence.

note: it is often difficult to spot cracks in teeth, depending on location and severity.

question:
what to do at this point?
a. continue on to permanent crown. if pain persists, drill through at a later date to do rct.

b. do rct first. finish crown second.

c. anyone have any experience with dentonin? i don't know if this is an option in my case.
[removed]

d. other???

this choice has tormented me for 6 months. i would like to make a decision very soon and move on.

i thank you for your suggestions.

[Do not post websites with advertising. Please read more about this and other rules by clicking the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 12-26-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #13
(female)

CTmom HB User

Don't give up too soon on a sensitive tooth without a root canal. I had one tooth that was very tender to bite for months after a crown was put on. No root canal and I really thought I might need one. The dentist convinced me to stick it out. What he did was replace the temporary crown (which fit terribly) with the permanent one but he used only temporary cement. The sensitivity lasted for about four months and then about two months after that he rechecked the tooth and cemented the crown permanently. This way, if I had needed a root canal, they could have just popped the crown off and done the root canal and not ruined the crown. The tooth has been fine now for over five years so it can take a long time for a sensitive tooth to settle down.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:06 PM   #14
(female)

lucky3s HB User

thanks for the reply ctmom!

i previously asked my dentist about the temp vs permanent gluing. he believes that it is not worth the effort as it is quite simple for the endodontist to drill through the crown and the dentist to patch it with a composite filling.

i thought that might alter the integrity of the crown (pocelain over metal), but he disagrees.

i will approach him on that topic again. perhaps a more settled mind on my part might lead to a more convincing discussion!

assuming that you are not a dentist...is it your impression that the ill-fitting crown aggrevated the bite, and once the fit was adjusted on the permanent crown, the tooth and nerve settled down?

also, how did your tooth pain begin and what was the reason for the crown?

and, as though this weren't complicated enough, i am considering pregnancy. i am definitely considered to be the high-age end of things. knowing that pregnancy hormones may/do have an effect on teeth, does anyone have any imput on that topic?

i figure that once i commit to either the root canal or the pregnancy, there is no turning back from either!

ctmom, it's quite positive news to hear that your crown has been trouble-free for five years! many more years of good teeth (and in general!) health to you!

Old 12-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #15
(female)

CTmom HB User

I was given the crown because I had a huge old filling in the molar and it was starting to break down. The dentist did not think there was enough tooth structure left to hold another filling. I would occasionally have a sharp biting pain before the crown but nothing that really bothered me. After the crown the pain was pretty intense for quite awhile although it was just a constant general pain from the tooth - not made worse with hot or cold which the endodontist said was a good sign. I definitely feel the poorly fitting temporary crown contributed to the problem. It actually fell off a couple of times and I don't think there was much of a seal at all. Once I got the permanent on (with temporary cement) there was a dramatic improvement within days, although it still took many months for the pain to completely resolve.

I would disagree with your dentist's feelings about the temporary cement. I can't see why he wouldn't try it. Yes, your endodontist can drill through the crown but why spend all that money just to end up with a crown with a hole in it that will have to be filled? My endodontist was actually the one who suggested the temporary cement, saying that it would be alot easier for him to do the root canal if necessary. Also, although it doesn't happen often, he has had crowns crack while drilling through them and he couldn't guarantee that this would not happen. The temporary cement caused no problems. It adhered really well and after six months the dentist really had to pry the crown off to cement it permanently. It was a lot easier for me to give the tooth time to settle down knowing that I had this option.

Good luck!

Closed Thread