It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
(male)

Root Canal HB User
Bone Shaving

Hello:

Have had a recent root canal & prior to placing the pin & finishing, the dentist wants to shave my bone slightly, so that the root canal has a better chance of success. Seems that I don't have enough left of the tooth above the gumline, unless the bone is shaved down a millimeter or two.

Kind of leery about having this procedure done, but on the other hand I don't want to throw out my money, especially if the root canal may not succeed without the procedure.

Has anyone ever had this done & could you tell me about it. Is it painful, any chance of infection in bone or gum, how long does it take your gum to heal, etc.?

Would you recommend having it done!

Thank You.

Last edited by Root Canal; 01-03-2007 at 08:59 PM.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Bone Shaving

I'm not sure if it is the same type procedure or not, but I had a LARGE boney tori removed from my upper left jaw 2 months ago. The extra bone growth was so large that I was getting food caught between the bone and my cheek and I was getting sores. Anyway, the doctor had to cut my gum from in front of my eye tooth all the way to the back. He then pulled up the flap of gum and ground down all of the bone and contoured it. He then stiched the gum back in place. He had me on antibiotics, pain killers and an anti- nausea medicine (just in case). I had the stitches out in a week, but he said it would take a while to heal. It was swollen for a couple weeks after. So far, most of the healing has completed. I just have one spot that is still a bit sore. When I went back to the exodontist, he said he hadn't seen a tori that large in all his years of practice. I am happy with how it has healed and my mouth feels much better having the bone removed.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread