It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
(male)

orca2 HB User
Sore tongue underside after dental work

Tuesday I had a crown replaced that had popped off the previous Saturday. There was no pain when I went into the dentist. He removed more of the tooth and made a new crown right then and there (which was quite impressive).

After the anesthetic wore off that day, the tongue began to hurt a lot. By Friday it still hurt and I called the dentist who said it was fine when I left, but to rinse with salt water 4x/day and avoid acidic food/drink. I'm also applying oral antiseptic a few times/day to ease the pain temporarily.

There is visual indication of a cut and sore. There is a line about 1 cm long that is not on the other side. There is also a small red area near it - both on the bottomside of the tongue.

I'm not sure whether to be concerned or just let it run its course.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
(female)

noodles3 HB User
Re: Sore tongue underside after dental work

I was told by a dentist that sometimes a red line can indicate infection. I would get an appointment right away with the dentist and if he can't see you please go to another dentist to double check, in case you need an antibiotic .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

It could be that the retraction used to keep your tongue back while he prepped the tooth irritated or even cut your tongue or it may be irritated by the material he used to make the crown - is it a temp crown made of composite? Not too many drs make porcelain fused to metal in their office. I would follow his advice to rinse with warm salt water a few time a day but if it still bothers you in a week return and let him examine it - it could be the crown is too bulky near your tongue as well.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
(male)

orca2 HB User

He made the porcelain crown right there in the office while I waited. Very cool to watch. Camera in the mouth, images on computer, designed the crown, sent to carving machine. 20 minutes later - new crown ready to go. No temp. That part impressed me. I just wish he didn't mess up the tongue. I've considered the possibility I bit it but was awake when the pain killer wore off, so that's doubtful.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
(male)

ctbo HB User

sounds to me like your dentist cut your tongue when he was working in your mouth.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
(female)

rainbow_mandi HB User

You may have bitten your tongue whilst it was numb. I always have a sore tongue after novocaine because I subconsciously chew it to see if the numbness has worn off!!!

Closed Thread