It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Weird tooth problem.

Hi everyone,

I had a tooth extraction about 8-9 days ago with sedation. I had literally, a spare tooth growing out of my upper gum on the right side. When the tooth was removed, it hurt a little bit but nothing major. I followed all of my Dentists advice.

However there is something I'm slightly unsure of. I think I still have some tooth left behind. I asked the dentist did he remove all of the tooth and he reassured me he had removed it all and showed me the tooth with the root attatched but I'm still unsure.

Above when I had the tooth removed, there is a very very solid lump which feels like a tooth. The lump is in my upper gum on the right side. Approximately 1cm above where the original tooth was extracted. I did phone my dentist last friday and I was told by the receptionist that its most likely swelling of the bone and it will reduce in a few days. But it hasn't reduced in size. Infact there has been no change whatsoever to the lump thing. When I rub my finger underneath the lump I can feel a sharp edge and Im 70% its a tooth coming through. This is how my original tooth formed....a lump that was rock hard for a few months then a tooth popped through.

But it is possible there could be another tooth coming through? How long does it take for bone swelling to go down? My mouth doesn't hurt at all anymore and I've showed my mum and she too thinks its a tooth coming through but it sounds silly, doesnt it?

Thanks in advance x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Weird tooth problem.

Maybe its a bone fragment from the spot the tooth was extracted from?

Old 02-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

I've never had a tooth extracted before so I've got no idea what a bone fragment would look like, lol. But it does feel a LOT like when a tooth is coming through. Its solid to the touch, a bit sore on the right side and I can feel something sharp right at the bottom.

It reminds me a lot of when I had this tooth originally coming through. I told the Vet I had a tooth growing there and he didn't believe me until it finally came through.

Should I give my dentist a call next week and have it looked at to be certain?

Old 02-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah, they can xray it to try and determine what it is. If it is another tooth they will definitely see it.

You say this was a spare tooth - is it possible the tooth was a 2nd or adult tooth that looks like it is a spare only b/c the 1st or "baby" tooth never fell out?. I would think its pretty rare to be developing a "3rd" tooth unless the 1st tooth only recently erupted (and was removed) and now the 2nd tooth is following.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Yeah it was a spare tooth. A supernumerary tooth. Its when you have extra teeth that show up on Xray. They don't usually errupt but mine did years ago and luckily I only had the one supernumerary tooth.

It was a adult tooth. Think it was a incisor tooth but not 100% sure. I was awake through the whole procedure but drugged up the eyebals so didn't feel a thing, just tugging. Far as I know the dentist didn't cut any bone away all he did was pull the tooth out.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Even though the tooth was pulled and remained intact during the extraction it doens't mean that the bone holding the tooth didn't splinter a bit. If it did the bone fragment will usually come out on its own. I hope for your sake its not another tooth since I am sure it can be bothersome - but boy I sure wish I could grow some extra teeth.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi hun & thank you for your reply. I hope it is just a bone splinter. I would hate for it to be another tooth in the same spot. My mum had a look at it last night and she keeps saying its a tooth as she can see white coming through the lump....but this could also be a bone splinter right. I think I'll wait a few days and see my dentist end of the week to double check, then I'll leave it well alone lol.

Closed Thread