It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User
Sudden and Severe gum issues...

Hello all, I have had some worries for a while now, I had problems with bleeding gums towards the end of the year, or maybe even for the second half of the year, mostly when I brushed my teeth, but often when I woke up in the. Nothing to bad but I noticed it. The bleeding intensified over Sept onwards, and by Christmas was quite bad. In the latter half of December I noticed the bleeding to be coming from the gum above the tooth to the right of my centre pair, and this became quite intense of a morning. My gums feel like they have been receding and their is an unpleasant smell from the area. The tooth itself has also diminished in size considerably, as has its counterpart on the left, although no where near as much. A dental nurse friend of mine recommended Cordosyl over the Xmas period to fight the bleeding which actually worked quite well, and I had a clean and scale which helped even more. I think that the recession started around the time she gave me the Cordosyl but I cant be sure.

My worry is that all this happened rather quickly, the tooth on the right often bleeds and has been inflamed, and the centre left tooth has been sore and bleeding at the gum line. I visted my dentist on Tues and he was stumped, he said the right tooth causing much of the problem has a really deep pocket, unusual for someone my age, 22 tomorrow (Friday), and that it is only localized to one place. I feel that my teeth have changed over a realtively short time of three months and its frightening me as to why. I take care of my teeth, brush regularly, and since Xmas have flossed and used mouthwash daily.

Can such a rapid change come about this quick? My gums are notably shorter, well to me at least, and this pocket the dentist mentioned its worrying too. Any ideas?

He took x rays but said he needed time to think and as I am returning on Weds to mend a broken filling he said he will let me know then.

Help x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Sudden and Severe gum issues...

Did you happen to use any whitening or bleaching agent predeeding the gum recession or last year? The only reason I ask is that I developed rapid gum recession (bleeding, gingivitis, etc) when I was 28 and it "coincidently" was in the are where I used an OTC tooth whitener, basically my upper and lower front teeth. I went from being fine one day to having advanced perio disease where the front teeth were within one year and no one could tell me why - but the fact that I did not use the whitener on my side or back teeth (and they had no gum problems) made me think that it was the cause. Its just a thought. Also certain meds can cause rapid gum tissue recession and bleeding as well. Look into your diet or nutrition as well.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User

Hey, not used any meds or whitener, started using a electric toothbrush though, and regular mouthwash before probs started. Also started eating a LOT of fruit, a huge amount by anyones standards I think. Could that have an affect? Lots of oranges?

Worrying really....

Old 02-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I would see a Peridontist - the dentist that specializes in gums. Surprised your regular dentist didn't send you to one. Those dentists can do wonders and know far more than a regular dentist when it comes to gums.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User

Thank you for the suggestion, I will defeinately sort that out on Weds. My concern is that this happened very quickly, is it unheard of? Thank you for the replies guys.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

Usually, gum problems are so slow in developing..I don't know about rapid onset like that.. But overbrushing/rigorous brushing can make things WORSE! How can that be??? We are trying to follow ALL the rules- UGH!- I noticed MY gums receding, and that was the beginning of the end for ME!!-20 yrs later, duh...??? It was VERY gradual and SLOW..

Last edited by wintersun; 02-17-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User

That is extremely disheartening, beginning to panic now, worried it could mean I have an underlying problem for this to happen so quick. Oh no.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User

I've read in a post a few pages back that sometimes gingivitis can progress to periodontis in just a few weeks. Makes me feel better that there is not a underlying problem. Phew.

Last edited by MrJon; 02-18-2007 at 01:55 PM.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User

Guys Im sorry to be a bother, but im getting quite worries, my lower teeth are starting to feel quite jagged, especially the third pair (I don't know the names), does any one have any ideas?

Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Jagged meaning they have chipped or broken edges or have become brittle? I think you should see a periodontist - early treatment of perio problems is best. You may want to increase your diet or supplement it with Vitamin D, calcium and magnesium. They have some new dental products out that are supposed to strengthen and repair thinning enamel - not sure if they work though.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User

I'm not sure, just noticed one of the top ones, right side fourth one in feels sharp This is all happening very quickly and has become worrying. I'm not sure how to get a periodontist in the UK? How do I supplement my diet? Tablets? Thank you btw x

Old 02-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User

Hey, I have been dentist today, sorted out a filling at the back that needed doing. Discussed my teeth, he says that he wants me to return in six months to check the front tooth, in case it needs a root filling? The jagged edges he thought were down to me maybe grinding my teeth in the night? Sound right? My teeth have stopped bleeding when brushing which is good, and the funny taste in my mouth in the morning is getting better. Can I relax? Don't want to get to a point where my teeth are in trouble because of gum disease. What i mean is flossing and brushing and mouthwash enough? Doesnt need anything to remove it does it?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #13
(female)

rugrat18 HB User

I was reading an article where it said eating only fruit is really bad for your teeth. Im not sure if you are eating only fruit or just a lot of it. I'll try to find the link. I couldnt find the link, but from what i remember he ate only fruit for a while and like 3 of his teeth fell out. The acidity in the fruit eats away at your teeth. I heard it makes your teeth sensitive too. I hope this helps. =)

Old 02-27-2007, 04:41 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrJon HB User

hey, thanks for the reply, when this trouble started I was eating LOADS of fruit, especially oranges, well over twice what we are meant to have a day and other stuff too. Thanks for the comment, sounds an interesting article.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #15
(female)

boz HB User

Hi, Citrus fruit is very acid, and can & will cause dental problems. Ease up on the intake of oranges, lemons, limes etc. Rinse your mouth well after eating fruit if possible...........
I have dental problems through excess acid, ( reflux) so I understand .
Salt water mouthwashes are great. ( 1 teaspoon of salt to a pint of warm water ) ..... DO NOT Swallow..... Cheers, Boz

Closed Thread