It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
(female)

jla8375 HB User
7 year old / abscessed tooth

HI!
Just curious if anyone has any insight on my son's situation. Just yesterday he came to me and said his tooth hurt. I looked at the tooth and couldnt see anything obvious, other than that his first permanent molar is coming in, and I thought maybe it was just causing pressure. He complained of it again and so I gave him Motrin. Later he said, "could it be from this LUMP?" and I said WHAT LUMP? I hadnt lifted his lip up and so he showed me, he had a large lump what seemed to be pus filled. I asked him how long had he had that and he said a LONG TIME. Well he always has had a very high pain tolerance and never complains, so I wasnt surprised he had something wrong and never mentioned it. So I called the Dentist and they are closed until Tuesday. It just so happens that his dental hygentist is a neighbor and so I called her and she had me bring him to her house so she could take a peek. She said it was definately an abscessed tooth and possibly due to that tooth that is trying to come in, seems to be coming in at an angle. So she recommended since the dentist is out of state to see his pediatrician and have an antibitotic prescribed. So we had an appt. today, he could see how large the lump was, he made an incision to drain it and prescribed an antibiotic. We will see the dentist as soon as they open tuesday. My questions are.... What type of problem could arise from the fact that he may have had this abscess for quite some time? Has anyone experienced this type of situation? He has seen his dentist every 6 months since he was 4. He has no cavaties and brushes regularly. Sorry for the long winded post, any advice would be great. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: 7 year old / abscessed tooth

I don't think he will have any long term affects. Draining the abcess and taking the antibiotics and then following up with the dentist to determine what actually caused it so it can be properly treated to prevent it from occurring again and any further complications from developing is basically all that is necessary. It probably took a long time for the abcess to erupt b/c his gums are young and strong yet and so his immune system. Was the abcess above or below an adult or "baby" tooth - if its a baby tooth I wouldn't worry too much but if its an adult tooth the dentist should check it out to see if the nerve is dying. Sometimes eruption of adult teeth cause irratation of the surrounding gum tisssue and increase its abiity to "catch" or trap debris or they just become difficult to keep clean so the infection may be due to that and once his adult teeth are all in he probably won't have any further problems.

Closed Thread