It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

la81 HB User
Temporary Crown Pain

Hi-
I was hoping someone could give me some advice about a temporary crown. I had a temporary crown placed a week ago due to a cracked tooth. It felt fine for two days, then I started getting a throbbing pain under my tooth and jaw. I have been taking ibuprofen daily. I was taking it every 4 hours, but I have recently only had to take it every 12 hours due to the pain, so I guess things might be getting better, but I still have persistent throbbing pain under the tooth if I try to go all day without ibuprofen. It is moderately sensitive if I bite down on it, but not much sensitivity to hot/cold. I went back to my dentist yesterday and had the temporary shaved down a little because she said it was too high, which was causing the pain. I have not noticed much relief since then. Do these symptoms seem consistent with post-temporary crown recovery and I should just be patient, or should I be concerned? Thanks!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
(male)

jp39 HB User
Re: Temporary Crown Pain

I believe the pain is the nature of the beast with a temporary crown. I have a temp placed on one of my molars a week and a half ago. I also had them shave it down with no real results. The pain comes and goes but I am taking more ibuprofen than I would like.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
(female)

ms58 HB User
Re: Temporary Crown Pain

Robyn has excellent advice. I had a cracked tooth prepared for a cap and it kept hurting, especially when I bit down on it. The dentist kept telling me it would get better and just wait for the permanent cap, blah, blah. After about a week of moderate pain, it blew up into the root canal necessary killer pain and I went to an endodontist with the microscope and got it done. It will get better or worse, just don't put on a permanent cap till it feels good.

Closed Thread