It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User
What are the symptoms of an abcessed tooth and gum infection?

Hey everyone!

I am wanting to know what the symptoms are of an abcessed (sp?) tooth and an gum infection when it gets to the really dangerous stage? I know that food particles or gingivitis can cause gum bleeding but I am wanting to know what the signs are that your indicates your health as a whole may be in danger because of this. Thanks to everyone! The weekend is almost here!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: What are the symptoms of an abcessed tooth and gum infection?

When you have abecessed tooth you will know it hurts horrible. The pain is the major symptom along with swelling...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenandcats View Post
When you have abecessed tooth you will know it hurts horrible. The pain is the major symptom along with swelling...
Will the pain be so intense that you feel like running to the dentist?

Old 03-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
(female)

momtojrrk HB User

I had one in the fall and i would rather go through childbirth again.........its unbelievable pain.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojrrk View Post
I had one in the fall and i would rather go through childbirth again.........its unbelievable pain.
What did you have to get done to treat it? Does infections like these cause any other health threat or does it stay mainly in the gum/tooth area?

Old 03-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
(female)

Kimspikedhair HB User

I have had many infected teeth since this past December, and I had taken antibotics,root canals, and none of that helped, so I ended up getting those teeth extracted, as of right now I have more infected teeth UGH!!
The dentist can't figure out why the infection is spreading to all of my teeth, and from the looks of my teeth, they look good, and from the x-rays they don't show anything wrong, but once they get inside the tooth than they find the abcess.
To some people the antibotics will do the trick, but for me it never worked.
For me i never got swollen gums from the infection, just horrible pain, (which I have now) :-(
Kim

Old 03-10-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Nightengale212 HB User

When dental infections go untreated the bacteria can travel through the blood stream to other parts of the body such as the heart causing infections there as well. Also, especially in the case of periodontal disease where the infection has moved beyond the gums to the dental bones, the toxins produced by the bacteria begins to destroy the bones, and if this progresses tooth loss is inevitable as it is the bone that holds the teeth in their sockets.
As much as we hate to floss, this procedure done daily is so important to maintain good oral health, as our oral bacteria colonize about ever 24 hours, and flossing disrupts this colonization above the gum line where just brushing can't get to these places. I learned the above info the hard way, as I just had my 2nd quadrant of periodontal surgery done yesterday which will hopefully save my teeth.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
(female)

Kimspikedhair HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
When dental infections go untreated the bacteria can travel through the blood stream to other parts of the body such as the heart causing infections there as well. Also, especially in the case of periodontal disease where the infection has moved beyond the gums to the dental bones, the toxins produced by the bacteria begins to destroy the bones, and if this progresses tooth loss is inevitable as it is the bone that holds the teeth in their sockets.
As much as we hate to floss, this procedure done daily is so important to maintain good oral health, as our oral bacteria colonize about ever 24 hours, and flossing disrupts this colonization above the gum line where just brushing can't get to these places. I learned the above info the hard way, as I just had my 2nd quadrant of periodontal surgery done yesterday which will hopefully save my teeth.
What does "quadrant of periodental surgery" Mean?
I brush and floss through out the day, but I still have this nasty abcess infection that won't seem to go away.
regular antibotics don't seem to help, is there a stronger antibotic out there that would do the trick?
Maybe I need to have done what you just had done inorder to save my 6 remaining top teeth huh?
Kim

Old 03-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #9
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimspikedhair View Post
I have had many infected teeth since this past December, and I had taken antibotics,root canals, and none of that helped, so I ended up getting those teeth extracted, as of right now I have more infected teeth UGH!!
The dentist can't figure out why the infection is spreading to all of my teeth, and from the looks of my teeth, they look good, and from the x-rays they don't show anything wrong, but once they get inside the tooth than they find the abcess.
To some people the antibotics will do the trick, but for me it never worked.
For me i never got swollen gums from the infection, just horrible pain, (which I have now) :-(
Kim
Have you had blood work done to see if maybe something else is going on that is traveling to the teeth? I don't know if that is possible, but I was thinking about that.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Have you seen your dentist? What does he/she say? The moment I have any pain in my teeth I am in the dentist's chair. But then I am paranoid about my teeth. I couldn't stand not taking care of my teeth immediately.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #11
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb70 View Post
Have you seen your dentist? What does he/she say? The moment I have any pain in my teeth I am in the dentist's chair. But then I am paranoid about my teeth. I couldn't stand not taking care of my teeth immediately.
No I have not. I have a phobia of dentists....in a big way!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
(female)

Kimspikedhair HB User

I have been to the dentist and the oral surgeons many times since this past december.
I have seen the oral surgeon 4 times since december 19th.
I end up getting a toothache,go on antibotics,have root canals done,and still end up with the toothache so i end up getting it pulled.
then like a week after i had the tooth/teeth pulled than i end up getting another toothache, this is the 6th toothache since december.
I only have 6 teeth left on the top (it looks like 7 because of the bridge) and there all front teeth.
I am planning on getting the 6 teeth extracted and get dentures, I am NOT going thru another toothache again.
I have 7 teeth left on the bottom and I plan on keeping those, just hopefully i don't end up with another toothache on my bottom teeth.
Now if my teeth were all decayed and horrible looking than I could see why I would be getting all of these toothaches, but my teeth look good so my dentist can't understand why I would be getting all of these toothaches, one right after another.
And what's really strange is that whenever they take an x-ray of the tooth, it doesn't show anything wrong until they actually get inside the tooth.
I'm really wondering if someone put a voodoo curse on me?haha
No seriously I wonder if I have a huge Abcess and it's just spreading from one tooth to the next?
Well this coming Wednesday I'm going to see my dentist so we can talk about getting/doing the top denture.
Do you think that I could get my 6 top teeth extracted BEFORE I get my dentures?
Because of what I heard that it takes about 3 months before actually getting them because of all of the measurements,etc... that needs to be done.
I don't want to wait that long before having my teeth extracted, because of this toothache pain.
Kim

Old 03-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #13
(female)

Kimspikedhair HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpkinPumpkin View Post
No I have not. I have a phobia of dentists....in a big way!
oops sorry I thought that posts was meant for me!
Kim

Old 03-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
(female)

Kimspikedhair HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpkinPumpkin View Post
Have you had blood work done to see if maybe something else is going on that is traveling to the teeth? I don't know if that is possible, but I was thinking about that.
No I haven't, and my dentist hasn't mentioned anything about my teeth problems being caused by something else.
It's just caused by having extremly bad luck!!
Kim

Old 03-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Don't you know usually when you have an abcessed tooth? I have never heard of the dentist finding it out only after they extract the tooth but then again, I haven't been to the dentist in a long time either. I just thought that one would have symptoms of an abcessed tooth. no?

Closed Thread