It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

swf HB User
Broken Crown and Post from Root Canal

I apologize in advance if this problem has been addressed. I researched the board, but could not find anything related to my issues.

Here is my story:

I have very soft teeth; floss daily and brush twice, however, in the last 6 months alone, I have had 3 crowns and 1 root canal! I reckon I need to marry a dentist because I have no dental insurance and this is coming out of my pocket, which is getting thinner by the day. GRRR. I have had several root canals and fillings over my lifetime, even though I take great care of my teeth.

I had a root canal done on one of my upper right teeth (3rd or 4th from front)in 2001 and a crown placed on it in January 2007. Last Friday, I was chewing a soft peppermint and the crown from that tooth fell off (or so I thought). My dentist told me on Friday that the crown was broken and that the post from the root canal had broken as well. He re-cemented the crown as best he could and sent me to see an orthodontist this morning.

I went to the orth as scheduled this a.m. and he told me that he found decay under the crown all the way up to and including part of the jaw bone. This orth did not tell me what he was doing, so I don't know if he drilled into my gum or what to get rid of the decay. I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but I just don't know what the heck he did to me. He had to put a new post in to replace the broken one. Problem is that even with the new post, there is barely nothing for the new post to "hold onto". He also said something about having to eliminate part of my old tooth, as it had broken into pieces as well (in the gum), which he did this morning? He also had to scrape and/or drill around the gumline where the crown was and told me that it "may be a little tender" for a few days. When I left his office, I was given ibuprofen; paid $350 (he didn't charge me for the new post) and sent on my merry way.

What did he do to me? If he drilled to eliminate the decay, why didn't he give me any antibiotics? That sounded rather odd to me. Also, being that I just had this tooth crowned in January of this year, how could that much decay go unnoticed by my regular dentist when he put the crown on? Wouldn't he have noticed it at that time?

I, like many others on this board (I'm quite positive) utterly dread going to the dentist. It's not like I haven't been many, many times, but it never gets easier. Heck, I had to take half a Zanax just to make it through the procedure this morning. I think I would rather have needles driven under my fingernails rather than go to the dentist!

Add that to the fact that this ortho (whom I had never been to) had absolutely NO bedside manner and although he was professional, he was not kind, caring or acted like he cared at all about me. At one point during the procedure, he introduced a hot thing into my mouth and it burnt the side of my lip; then reintroduced the hot thing and burnt my lip again!! He had to know that it burnt me because I flinched and frowned (twice). It was at that point that I began crying. I am not a wimp or a crybaby, but he didn't even stop what he was doing - he just exclaimed "why are you crying?". PFFFFFT. What a jerk.

I have to go back to my regular dentist next week and talk to him about getting a bridge or an imlant for that tooth since the crown is not going to hold for very long.

I guess I had to get this off my chest. I had planned on going back to work today after my appt, but frankly, I was afraid that my mouth, once 'un-numb' would begin throbbing and I work in a highly stressful job and knew I wouldn't be able to deal with the stress today.

Can anyone tell me exactly what he did to me? I've found some information on this site insofar as dental implants vs. bridges, so I'm up on that and feel I can make an intelligent decision based on what I've read.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post.

SWF

[Please do not use cuss/slang words...in the future please write similar as I've edited above like "or acted like he cared at all about me". Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Everyone is someone else's weirdo.

Last edited by Well-come; 03-20-2007 at 10:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
(female)

noodles3 HB User
Re: Broken Crown and Post from Root Canal

Ok, first, you must have seen another type of dental professional, an orthodontist is the one that straightens teeth, gives you braces. Maybe you saw an endodontist? That is someone who specializes in root canals. The other option might be a prosthodontist...this one specializes in crowns, bridges, etc. all the cosmetic stuff.

I am a firm believer in getting more than one opinion on procedures. Can you get a recommendation from someone you know and have a new dentist take a look at what's going on? It doesn't sound right that your crown was just placed and you had that degree of infection. Some dentists are just not comfortable with the complexity of some dental problems and you want the best person for the job. It also sounds very strange that you had so much pain during the procedures. If it were me, I would NOT return to that dentist. Try to get a new dentist to sort things out...it doesn't sound right to me and you know, different dentists have different ways of dealing with problem teeth. Maybe you have more options available...I had to see several dentists before I found one who would consider doing what I wanted done so sometimes you need to consult with several.

Last edited by noodles3; 03-20-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Closed Thread