It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

Youngone22 HB User
Thoughts/success of dental implants

Just curious to see if anyone knew of someone or could share their store on dental implants...they are always something in the back of my mind should I decide to get rid of my partial. What kind of success rate do they have and are there any good stories? Just want to get people's thoughts...

Thanks so much!

Old 03-21-2007, 02:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Re: Thoughts/success of dental implants

In 2005 I got dental implants and love them. I have done a great deal of research about dental implants. I have a friend who is a Prosthodontist Professor at a college in Pennsylvania who showed me a study that was conducted that she did a seminar on with a large group in New York. In this study it shows people who have had all their teeth pulled and just got dentures and then people who got all their teeth pulled and got implants. In each case the ones that got implants their bones stayed strong and healthy. Those who didn't get implants their bones began to deteriorate because it is the tooth roots that keep the bone strong. Implants mimic the roots of the teeth therefore the bones do not deteriorate.

When a person has no choice but to lose their natural teeth then implants is the next best thing to replace them with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

bluebell22 HB User

I absolutely agree with anitak1982. Last year I had an old bridge taken out and replaced by two implants and I think they are wonderful. I wouldn't have anything else. They are quite expensive but well worth the money.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
(female)

noodles3 HB User

They can look absolutely natural and beautiful. I do know that the lower front has the highest success rate, I believe followed by the upper front. A prosthodontist, periodontist, or oral surgeon could give you the statistics on placement in the mouth and failure rates. I don't have one but am going to get one eventually. Of course, don't smoke if you want one because this really effects the success of the implant.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
(female)

carriefromla HB User
Re: Thoughts/success of dental implants/bluebell22

I read your post and thought I was reading about me. I to have a bridge and am thinking of having implants done.

Can you tell me a little bit about your story. What made you choose implants and what was the implant process like?

Last edited by carriefromla; 04-04-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
(female)

niknolan HB User

I am also going to have dental implant on my upper front tooth. I have had bridges for 20 plus years. I am scared for all the procedures but would like to know from those who have experience implant procedure.
Thanks

Old 04-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I have four implants that replaced my four top front teeth. I LOVE them. The process was long but really not that bad at all.

I had the four teeth removed and the implants immediately placed. While they healed (6 months) I used a removable metal partial. It worked fine.

After the 6 months healing time, I had the gums opened and they placed on the healing caps. These are used to help form a "gumline" for the crowns. They made my permanent crowns while this healed, about two weeks.

Then I got my permanent crowns. That was it! Nothing more, nothing less. My DH has 7 implants, all molars, and has had them for nearly 10 years. I have a friend with a front tooth implant and it's been there for over forty years. She's never had a problem.

I think if you take good care of them they can last you a lifetime, just like your regular teeth. If you don't....well, they say if you ignore anything it will go away....teeth are no exception! My DH and I go for professional cleanings every three months. Small price to pay for an investment of that cost. It's like a car. You must maintain them.
My crowns look great and very natural. I didn't go for a "Hollywood Smile" and got a very natural look. With them being my front teeth, I really couldn't be happier.

Best of luck to you. Implants can be a wonderful replacement to a natural tooth. Mine feel just like my real ones did, only better!

Hope this helps! Let us know how you do and what you decide.

Gellia

Old 05-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
(female)

niknolan HB User

After they open the implant to put the cap in does the cap have a temporary crown till they put the permanent ones or is the cap exposed. I don't want to be toothless while the cap is on. That is my concern.
Thanks so much for your reply.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
The "healing cap" is a small button shaped screw. It goes into the implant and helps form the gums. Whatever you are using now should fit right over it. My partial didn't even need any adjusting. They were only used while my crowns were made. About two weeks.
Then I temporarily had my crowns glued in for awhile to be sure I really liked them. 10 days later, I went and had the crowns permanently cemented.

The important thing is I was never without teeth at any time.
My friend had a single implant done and she was never without a tooth either.

Hope this helps! Love my implants!!

Gellia

Old 05-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
(female)

niknolan HB User

Thanks for all your help
I appreciate it and now I have some confidence.
Thanks again

Old 05-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknolan View Post
Thanks for all your help
I appreciate it and now I have some confidence.
Thanks again
My pleasure. Good luck and I hope you love your implants as much as I love mine. Couldn't be happier!

Best to you,
Gellia

Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
(female)

creinha HB User

I had a tooth on the bottom left that was pulled when I was young. I spent a lot of money on a tissue graft, bone graft, braces, and then a dental implant just to fix that missing tooth. The titanium screw was set at an angle. I had to get a smaller tooth than what I should have received due to this and there is a huge space at the bottom between this implant and the tooth in front of it. It really annoys me as food gets stuck in there and I find it very uncomfortable, even after having had it for over a year. I guess it's still better than a bridge.

Closed Thread