It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

annaf HB User
teeth loose due to clenching

hi
I had a bunch of dental work done last year...now evrything is good..no toothaches(for most part)..good brushing habits..etc..
My current problem is that my teeth sometimes feel loose while chewing/speaking..there can be a bucnh of reasons according to my analysis -
1. i am clenching my teeth at night - I must add that I have become overly anxious about my teeth and worry a lot about them falling out etc..dentist says this might be a possibility - I also have slight gum recession on some teeth...but dentist says not to worry..
2. The teeth that feel loose are the ones with root canals (two teeth) - are they actually loose? Dentist does'nt think so..
3. I have gum disease...dentist rules this out too..says gums are thin genetically but are fine overall. He also said I have good bone structure.
4. Bad bite? Sometimes I feel I don't know how I should be keeping my teeth when I am not using them..I am very conscious about the way I close my mouth..
5. is it all caused by my anxiety? Am I imagining it?
I am now considering visiting a periodontist to have my gums evaluated...I don't want to lose any of my teeth...should I get a nightguard...dentist said it MIGHT help..and I don't really need it ..but I can get one if I like..

Is there anyone on this boards who has had loose teeth due to clenching alone?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
(female)

Skinamarinka HB User
Re: teeth loose due to clenching

Hi,
I am a fellow clencher too... I only do it on the right side and one tooth takes most of the force. It has been filled 3 times and last year it finally broke. Now I have a ceramic crown and clenching can damage that...what has worked for me is taking calcium and magnesium at night before I go to sleep. The only type that works for me is the type of calcium that is in Bone UP by Jarrow. Other companies sell it too, I think it is the hydroxiapitate form. If I forget to take them, I clench, if I take them, I don't. Both minerals can be relaxing to the body and muscles.
I do have a night guard, but do not use it because with clenching, you still have the jaw pain and my bite was changing for the worse. I would not rule it out for you though since it can protect your dental work.
Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
(female)

annaf HB User

Thanks SkinaMarinka..
Other than your tooth cracking...did it also feel loose - like its moving a little when you chew with it ...or while speaking..
Also..can you tell me the dosage of the calcium and magnesium supplemetn you are trying?

Old 03-21-2007, 05:40 AM   #4
(female)

ms58 HB User

I cracked two teeth due to night clenching and got one of the new design tooth gurads to wear at night. It fits over just the four front top teeth and has a support on the bottom which keeps your teeth from hitting at night and does not affect the bite. You have to get fitted at the dentist's office and they make them in a dental lab, it's not an over the counter type.

If I were the orininal poster I would get the night guard I describe and give it a few months to work and see if the teeth tighten up. As root canal teeth are dead clenching could effect them.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I wear a night guard due to clenching and still have to have my bite adjusted periodically. I would definitely see a Peridontist about the gum problem and any others. I go to a Peridontist every three months for cleaning and checking and would never go back to a regular hygentist after seeing the difference done.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
(female)

ms58 HB User

Barb, how do they adjust your bite? I'm asking for future reference for myself in case I notice it happening. Thanks for info.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
(female)

annaf HB User

Thanks Barb70 and ms58 for your replies..
My only problem right now is that my teeth feel loose...do you guys have that feeling? While speaking/eating etc...
I have anxiety problems so I don't know if I am just imagining this..

Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
(female)

ms58 HB User

My teeth don't feel loose. Do yours move if you touch them with your fingers? Possibly the crowns are getting loose due to grinding? If your dentist tested them and said they aren't moving, maybe just relax (I know that's not easy, but sometimes it works), don't poke them with your tongue for a while and see what happens.

Last edited by ms58; 03-21-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Closed Thread