It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
(female)

inspiringmind HB User
IV Sedation....Cost of?

I have teeth that won't "freeze". (Or, no matter how much you try to numb my mouth to do work on it, it still hurts.) I had dental work done when I was 17 and it was horrible! I am now 33 and after waiting for years and years I finally am having my wisdom teeth pulled, plus one other tooth in the back. I am pretty sure my insurance does NOT cover IV sedation. (They do cover the extractions though.) How much does it normally cost to get IV sedation by its self? Trust me, I will turn right around and walk out of a dentists office if he says I can't somehow pay for it myself.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
(female)

Fawkes HB User
Re: IV Sedation....Cost of?

I just went in to the dentist last week and we made my appt. to extract all 4 wisdom teeth (and 2 others) while under IV sedation. The cost estimate for all of my treatment states that the IV sedation is $250.00. My insurance covers $200.00. I have no idea how much this can vary since this is the first time I will have been under sedation, but I hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

I paid $300 for the sedation and it was worth every penny!

Old 03-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

You might also ask about oral sedation, which is much cheaper and tends to work well. I took something called Halcion for a dental procedure two years ago and I honestly didn't give a hoot about what they were doing. Also, something to consider is that often you do not get numb because you are anxious and somehow this can make it difficult for the novacaine to work well.
If you have oral sedation beforehand, the novacaine may actually be effective, or at least more so than it was for you in the past.

Nancy

Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
(male)

Paul81 HB User

How long did it take to get 4 wisdom teeth out? BTW I have to call monday to setup my appt for 1 wisdom tooth I'll ask how much it is for iv sedation. Nobody ever get wisdom teeth without sedation?

What was the cost of removing a wisdom tooth?

Last edited by Paul81; 03-23-2007 at 11:06 PM.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:43 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at once, with IV sedation, and the total was $1650-$1700 at an oral surgeon. My insurance covered up to $1000.

Most dental insurances will cover IV sedation for wisdom teeth, because of how extensive the surgery can be. At least, that's what the oral surgeon told me.

It took them about 30 minutes to get mine out, but they were all above the gum line. Only one was impacted, and it was just soft tissue.

Paul, why would you just do one? Get them all out at once be done with it! I considered just having the two that were starting to develop cavities removed, but the OS talked me into all four. They're in there anyway.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:27 AM   #7
(female)

wordweaver HB User

I had one wisdom tooth pulled yesterday. I went in at 2:00 and was back in my car at 2:30. My advice, go earlier in the day since it is going to bleed and if you have more than a couple of minutes drive, have someone else take you or plan on stopping. My denitist didn't use any sutures and the gauze was soaked long before I got home. If someone else is driving you could change it and not swallow blood like I did.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
(male)

Paul81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari View Post
I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at once, with IV sedation, and the total was $1650-$1700 at an oral surgeon. My insurance covered up to $1000.

Most dental insurances will cover IV sedation for wisdom teeth, because of how extensive the surgery can be. At least, that's what the oral surgeon told me.

It took them about 30 minutes to get mine out, but they were all above the gum line. Only one was impacted, and it was just soft tissue.

Paul, why would you just do one? Get them all out at once be done with it! I considered just having the two that were starting to develop cavities removed, but the OS talked me into all four. They're in there anyway.

The info my Dentist sent to to Oral surgeon was Ext #16 nothing else. Maybe he will romove others once he looks but, that's all I know.

Last edited by Paul81; 03-24-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
(male)

Paul81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
I had one wisdom tooth pulled yesterday. I went in at 2:00 and was back in my car at 2:30. My advice, go earlier in the day since it is going to bleed and if you have more than a couple of minutes drive, have someone else take you or plan on stopping. My denitist didn't use any sutures and the gauze was soaked long before I got home. If someone else is driving you could change it and not swallow blood like I did.
Good Idea I was hoping to get an early appt anyways.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
(female)

Fawkes HB User

I'm having all 4 out at once on May 1st. I don't see a point in getting one or two out. I'm currently only having problems with 1, the other 3 have never bothered me. But my mouth is overcrowded as it is and they will all have to come out eventually anyways. So I'm happy that they are all coming out at once (I will be under IV sedation).

Old 03-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had all four out at once. They all have fillings in them too! They jsut finally started crowding my other teeth. And I just had novacaine. Didn't have any problems.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #12
(female)

me2007 HB User

I just got a quote of $480 for IV sedation from my oral surgeon. I checked with my dental insurance and they will only pick that up if its medically necessary. I have a decision to make soon myself. Best wishes

Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #13
(female)

Frankengums HB User

Funny you should ask. I just had gum grafting surgery today, the second round in the past 6 months. This is where they cut strips of tissue from the roof of your mouth and then suture these to the areas around your teeth with recessed gums. Fun! I cannot IMAGINE undergoing this without sedation. On me they used IV Valium and Demerol both times. My insurance didn't cover any of the sedation, and the charge was $151 for the first 30 minutes and $86 for each additional 15 minutes (procedure took a little over an hour, I think). Regardless, it was worth EVERY CENT. It makes you verrrrrrry sleepy, and while you're vaguely aware of what is going on, you really don't care what they're doing. Part of it I don't remember at all.

If you can at all afford it, go for the drugs!!

Closed Thread