It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

wordweaver HB User
Novocaine required for a crown?

Does anyone know if novocaine is mandatory for a crown to be put on a tooth that had a root canal done? I had a root canal done last fall and will need a crown put on it. I don't like novocaine as it makes me feel sick (dentist says it is anxiety not the novocaine that make me feel ill). Thanks. Incidentally this is fresh in my mind because I had a tooth pulled today and needed novocaine.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Novocaine required for a crown?

Well, you could try it and see what happens. Am sure the dentist would be willing to try it for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Evie4 HB User

I've had it done without it. Like the last poster said, you can try and if it's too uncomfortable, then you can have it numbed up. I should add however, I too had my crown done months after the root canal.

Last edited by Evie4; 03-23-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Ask them to give you the epi-free shot. It will not make you feel sick like the regular one. Also you can try it without anything, i just got some rooting and scaling work done and i didnt have any of the medication.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
(female)

wordweaver HB User

Thanks. This will be a ways out since they won't make the appointment until after my next cleaning which is in May. But I would like to try it without novocaine. I was fine yesterday until the novacaine froze the roof of my mouth.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
(female)

HoneyStrom HB User
Smile Re: Novocaine required for a crown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
Thanks. This will be a ways out since they won't make the appointment until after my next cleaning which is in May. But I would like to try it without novocaine. I was fine yesterday until the novacaine froze the roof of my mouth.
Novocaine contains epinephrine and can cause your side effects. It does the same to me. They have a shot that is epinephrine free they can use. Just tell your dentist that you do not want a shot with epinephrine in it. He is required by law to follow your orders. He cannot give you anything without your permission.

I hate shots so I have a lot of my dental work done without any shots or medication of any kind. But for deep work that is painfull I get the epi free shots.

Hope this helps,
HoneyStrom

Old 03-31-2007, 04:04 AM   #7
(female)

wordweaver HB User

Had my "post op" check done on the wisdom tooth extraction (looks great) and asked about the novocaine. He said that yes, I need it because of the work done to the gum. He showed me with a model. He said it doesn't have to be a ton of novocaine though. He suggested that I make the appointment ASAP. The receptionist told me the first appointment for a crown is 1 1/2 hours. I thought the dentist told me six months ago that the appointment would be 4o minutes.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
(female)

wordweaver HB User

I had the temp crown appointment today. Before the visit started, I spoke with the women behind the desk and told them about my reaction to novocaine. One of them spoke with the dentist and asked if I could have the epineprhine free shot instead. He agreed and it was so much better! He doesn't like using it because it runs out quicker. He did have to give me another shot halfway through which I don't mind at all since it isn't the needle that bothers me. He said that when I go back next week for the permanent crown, I don't need novocaine.

Closed Thread