It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
(male)

stickman76 HB User
Ok to use hydrogen peroxide after wisdom tooth surgery?

Hello everyone,

I tried looking for an answer to my question on the net but couldn't find anything useful, so I'm placing my hopes on this forum!

I had my lower right, impacted (completely horizontal) wisdom tooth extracted last Friday. Just before the surgery, I told my dentist that when I had the previous wisdom tooth extraction (that was some 3 years ago - for the lower left wisdom tooth) I'd developed an infection. I'd to go back to the surgeon after around a week when I noticed that my swelling and pain was gradually increasing. He drained the pus and I recovered soon after.

After hearing this, to prevent the chances of getting an infection (this is what he said), he inserted a gauze into the cavity left by the removed tooth and then stitched it up. He said that the gauze had some substance in it which would help prevent any infections.

Today - 5 days after the initial surgery - I went back to the hospital and another surgeon pulled out the gauze. I could feel it bleeding quite a bit and so just kept my mouth closed for the next hour or so till I came back home. After coming home and spitting out the blood, I realised that a jelly-like red thing had formed along the outer edge of the right gum. I realised that it was the blood that had clotted up. It was feeling very uncomfortable (as it was around 2-3cm long) and so I used a pair of tweezers and carefully pulled it out.

This exposed a small hole where the tooth had been pulled out from. Blood is trickling out right now.. but it's really not that much.

Now the thing is that I don't want an infection to occur inside that hole due to food particles accumulating inside it. So I'd like to know if it's safe to use hydrogen peroxide to keep the area clean. On the other hand, I also don't want to remove any blood clot that forms on the hole as that would help the healing process. So instead of gargling, I'm just placing the liquid there and tilting my head so that the hole is immersed for around a minute or two. I'm then just spitting it out.

Is this ok? I plan to repeat this every 8 hours. Should I go ahead or will hydrogen peroxide prevent the clot from forming - in which case I might end up with a "dry socket"?

Thanks a lot for any comments...
Supriyo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
(female)

ms58 HB User
Re: Ok to use hydrogen peroxide after wisdom tooth surgery?

It's been about 40 years since I had my widsom teeth out but I remember clearly that you WANT a clot to form in the hole left by the tooth removal. The thing you want to avoid is dry socket. Do a search on dry socket and you'll get lots of info. So you should not have removed the clot and rinsing a lot and not allowing a clot to form is not advisable.

You should have gotten info from your dentist about after care. Call him/her and get updated and follow the instructions.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Ok to use hydrogen peroxide after wisdom tooth surgery?

YIKES--call your oral surgeon immediately. What the above poster said is true.

Closed Thread