It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Pain medication after root canal/extraction

Can anyone suggest a effective pain med for after a root canal or extraction? Last time all I had was aspirin because I was allergic to the dye in the pain med. Thanks. Fam

Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Pain medication after root canal/extraction

I just had one last month and all I needed was Aleve. They gave me a scrip for Lortab but I never needed it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Personally I think Aleve is the best - start by taking 2 and then take another in 6 hrs if pain isn't alleviated. You can safely take up to 5 or 6 a day although the package instructions tell you not to. The OTC form of naproxen is 220mg per caplet - yet when my dr prescribes the prescription strength form (aka brand name Naprosyn, generic naproxen) they are 500mg tablet taken 2-3 times a day. For me it works best with dental and body pain. If you have a sensitive stomach and are not used to taking NSAIDs eat something beforehand or when you take it.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Yeah, those are great as well!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I forgot to mention that I have a swallowing problem so I can't take pills or capsules unless I can dissolve them in water. I asked my dentist for some pain med in preparation for a root canal. You won't believe what he told me: he always asks the pharmacist cause he/she knows all the latest drugs. I had been in to see the pharmacist the week before & he said the Dr. is the one to ask. Go figure!!!! Sounds like the blind leading the blind. Luckily, the nurse called in a RX for tylenol & codiene so hopefully that will do the trick. Fam

Old 04-06-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

famnd........Sometimes advil works for me if taken before the novacaine wears off. I have had alot of dental work done lately and had to take tylenol with codeine. It is the only pain med that has helped at all with dental work. I actually request it now if they want to give me vicodin or percocet. The tylenol3 works better. Usually only have to take one or 2 and I 'm fine. it's the initial wearing off of the novacaine and the soreness that gets to me. Good luck.

ICC

Old 04-07-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Thanks for the input. It is nice to hear that tylenol/coedine worked for you. It has been a long time since I've taken tylenol & I've never taken coedine. I don't have chronic pain or headaches etc. so I've never had to take much medicine. I hope my tooth can hold out until the 29th for the root canal. I have to go out-of-town for two wks so I'm picking up my pain med & antibiotic in case the tooth starts to go South. Fam

Old 04-07-2007, 05:44 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You can get liquid versions of these. Ask your doctor since you said you have problems with pills. A compounding pharmacy should be able to handle it if your regular drugstore can't.

Closed Thread