It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
(male)

Wotan HB User
Gum Flap procedure

OK--I'm new here...& found this a very interesting board w many very intelligent responses. Hope I can get some people that know of my procedure & share their experiences.

Past Monday (April 2-2007)--I had a "gum flap" procedure--a periodontal "surgery" by my dentist (who is also an oral surgeon)--& is really excellent! This guy really knows his stuff & i've been to a few dentists on both coasts.

Anyway--tooth was on bottom left....2nd molar (my 3rd molar-wisdom teeth were all extracted 40 yrs ago-while in HS). The tooth had already had a root canal & crown--but gum issues started a few months later. No pain...just a 'lesion' on gum. My dentist-after x rays...concluded it was a periodontal problem...& i went thru a "gum flap" procedure--where gum is cut--peeled back....bad tissue is scraped off of bone...then I had osseous surgery---meaning the bone around the tooth was filed & smoothed-so bacteria could not creep into crevices. Then my dr. used an antibiotic paste--& filled in area under tooth with a "synthetic" bone material---so, my natural bone could grow back without gum growing in.

After--he stiched up the gum with "dissolvable" stiches. No pain or any discomfort during procedure.
But--after procedure...just a lot of ....not excruciating---just a dull ache on the gum....sometimes going up to upper tooth. Initially--tooth very tender on biting. Dentist told me not to chew on that side for a few weeks--not to use any toothpaste on that gum (around it--OK--not on the gum/tooth area)----but to rinse it w Peridex.

Anyway--pain persisted for about 9 days---took 2 Aspirin---helped ..but finally went to 2 Motrin. That & wet hot wash cloth gave me relief.

Saw my dentist yesterday for follow up after one week---he said it looked really good....& --as it always is--the pain was really subsiding noticeably--the day i saw the dentist. He told me.."You had oral surgery--it's gonna take time!"-----

Anyway--has anyone else had this periodontal procedure? (Gum flap....osseous bone surgery)---AND--I'm curious about how many days before pain subsided! I've had 4 root canals----with that--pain usually subsides in 2 or 3 days at most. But--this is a "long one". OK--get back--anyone who has had this procedure w your feed back (recovery time)---OR...any oral surgeons....Thanks--Wotan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Gum Flap procedure

Its going to take some time, so I think he is right. Its not just that the area was opened up, scraped and stitched closed, since I am sure that has healed. But it takes much longer time for the graft to fully integrate - sometimes several months. I had 4 quads done some years ago and the only side that took the most time to feel normal with no pain or sensitivity was the lower right since he also did a bone graft behind the last molar. Everyone's response can be different, but for me the area behind that tooth remained sensitive for almost 6 months. Hope it feels better soon.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Gum Flap procedure

I had a different procedure done last October, but the process was similar. I had a very large boney growth on my upper jaw. (The exodontist said it was the largest he had ever seen.) The dentist cut my gums from the front of my eye tooth all the way back to the back of my jaw. He then lifted the gum and ground down and contoured the bone. After that he stitched it up with regular stitches. I not only had stitches on the upper part of my gum on both ends, I had stitches between each of my teeth.

When I went back to get the stitches out, he said the surgery causes trauma to the mouth and it would take a LONG time to heal. He didn't say what that meant. The bone has to heal, the gums have to heal and the the gums hafe to form back to the bone again. For me, the overall intense soreness was gone within a couple weeks. I had some tenderness and redness for several months after that. I still have some ocassional tenderness and go back to the dentist next month, but overall I would say the process was a great success. Sometime in the near future, I will be having the same procedure performed on the bottom jaw also.

I have a friend who had a gum graft done and her dentist said it could take up to a year for her gum to heal completely. I just prayed my procedure wouldn't hurt that long.

It was interesting by the way that two other dentists in the office (including my regular dentist) rescheduled their appointments so they could watch my exodontist, who was the expert, perform this procedure on me. At one point I looked up and there were 5 people observing. It was a learning experience too because the visiting dentists asked alot of questions and I learned more about exactly what he was doing througout the process. It took about 45 minutes. It also made me feel better because they told me how impressed they were with his work and the cosmetic shaping he did.

Hope this helps some.

Reader

Closed Thread