It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

jomac30 HB User
implant using cadaver bones

I was planning to have an implant at a dental school until they told me I would need a bone graft. I was ok with a cow bone but then they said it had to be a cadaver bone so I changed my mind. I couldn't get used to the idea of having a bone from a corpse in my mouth. Now I have a missing front tooth until I figure out what to do. On either side of the missing front tooth is a crown. Should I have the crowns redone as a permanent bridge with a pontic in the middle or replace the missing tooth with some type of partial denture? I need 3 teeth replaced on the upper right so I need a partial for that anyway, I just want to avoid having the partial go across the roof of my mouth. I would not be able to get used to it.
Originally I was going to have the 3 missing side teeth replaced with implants but they have to do a sinus lift and the whole thing seemed to invasive.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: implant using cadaver bones

i don't blame you for not wanting to use cadaver bone. a little creepy. i have had the partial that goes across the roof of you mouth and now i have the valplast that fit on the gums. i like the other one better. it fit better and i didn't need an adjustment. the valplast are not all they are cracked up to be. GOd bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

You're right to be hesitant about cadaver grafts - last year there was a threat that some HIV contaminated bone had somehow gotten into the market place - so when I needed a graft I opted for synthetic which didn't work too well either - since some of it became infected. I would opt for the fixed bridge in the front if you can - I had one for many years (the 2 upper canines were anchors and the 4 in the middle were dummy teeth) and it eventually just felt like my natural teeth. But how are they doing the partial on the upper right - will that have a plate?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

jomac30 HB User

Is there a way to have a partial on the upper right without covering any of the palate?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

jomac30 HB User

Why do you like the other partial better than the Valplast? I'm new to this and am afraid I won't wear whatever partial I get because of the feel of it in my mouth.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
(female)

Lexijones99 HB User

You guys are freaking me out. My dd had bone grafting done a few years ago. Now I need to have it done in 3 weeks. No one told me what kind they used on my dd or what kind they're using on me.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
(male)

sreton HB User

Cadaver bone is the next best graft material to your own. Have no fear !

Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

There is always the option of having a graft done from your hip. Why will they not do the cow bone?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi

Just wanted to tell you that I had cadaver bone put into my mouth over twenty-five years ago in a back molar. I was creeped out, scared as hell of HIV infection and all of that. THAT tooth is still fine, although in 6 weeks or so, the one next to it is going to have to be pulled because it has died.

I am aware of the HIV and cadaver bone thing as well. Even as the screening gets more and more sophisticated, we still have to deal with the money hungry evil beings in this world. However, the chance of an HIV infection is pretty minute, and although still even a remote possibility can greatly scare us, I do believe your dentist is right on target.

This is kind of a "face the fear and do it anyway" situation. My opinion, for what it is worth, is to face that fear and do it anyway.

All good wishes for a great outcome.
reachout

[Please do not use cuss/slang words. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 05-10-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Isn't there a synthetic type of "bone" material they can use as well? I don't think I would want cadavar bone........

Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

try a search on BMP, BMP4, and BMP7
reachout

Old 05-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
(female)

tahekeroa HB User
Question Re: implant using cadaver bones

Poster #1... Why does using a bone from a dead human bother you but not the bone of a dead cow... just curious!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

there may be a health risk involved with using cadavar bone (like HIV).

Closed Thread