It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
(female)

kyethra HB User
Question White lines and spots in mouth

I'm having an odd problem. The past three weeks I have had issues with white spots and lines in my mouth. I first noticed the problem immediatly after gallbladder removal surgery. When I woke up I noticed a sore on the inside of my mouth below my lip and the insides of my cheeks felt swollen. Then when I got home I looked at the sore and it was white. That one has gone away but others have shown up-- I have a couple now in front of my front teeth below my bottom lip on the inside of my mouth. Even more perplexing are the white lines. A few days after my surgery I developed a UTI (they used a cath) and I couldn't get rid of it using cranberry so I went to the doctor and she gave me antibiotics for that and also diflucan (to help prevent yeast). I figured if the oral stuff was fungal that would clear it up and if it was bacterial (I was also having a bad taste in my mouth all the time) it would clear that up too. I took a diflucan and it seemed to help for a day or two, but then stop helping. I took another, but here it is. After I went to see the doctor I noticed when I was flossing one day that in addition to the white spots I also have a white spot on either side of my tongue. and then I tend to get a while line on either side of the tongue as well. I have a line on the middle inside of each cheek thats also white. The appearance of all of these varies day to day. I looked it up online and came up with frictional keratosis and hairy leukoplakia. But neither of those makes sense to me. I don't suck on my cheeks or bit my tongue or grind my teeth or anything like that so I don't understand why I would just suddently develope frictional keratosis. I also don't have any risk factors for the hairy leukokemia. I'm a young women who has a fairy health immune system (no HIV, no chance of it), no tobacco use, no drinking recently. I'm also not even sure what doctor to go to? Dentist? Primary care doctor? ENT? In addition to the mouth thing I have been feeling ill lately (sore throat, nausea off and on, low fever off and on, weak, zapped of energy). My surgeon said that anasthia and so forth affects people different and just give it time. I'm trying to eat on a regular basis and I'm drinking plenty of clear sugar free fluids since my mouth is pretty dry and I'm trying to do more and more around the house (but if I do too much I just start gagging- gross, huh). Any ideas? Maybe I should get some sort of tongue or mouth gaurd for when I sleep? My mouth isn't painful but parts of it are a little irritated and this swollen cheek feeling is annoying. This is starting to really get on my nerves! I'd appreciate input.

Last edited by kyethra; 05-16-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: noticed a missed word.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
(female)

marnb77 HB User
Re: White lines and spots in mouth

i am having the same problem after gb surgery. My tongue has a white coating on it.. i didn't have this before gb surgery. Has yours gone away yet?

Old 04-01-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
(female)

waltertripe HB User
Re: White lines and spots in mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyethra View Post
I'm having an odd problem. The past three weeks I have had issues with white spots and lines in my mouth. I first noticed the problem immediatly after gallbladder removal surgery. When I woke up I noticed a sore on the inside of my mouth below my lip and the insides of my cheeks felt swollen. Then when I got home I looked at the sore and it was white. That one has gone away but others have shown up-- I have a couple now in front of my front teeth below my bottom lip on the inside of my mouth. Even more perplexing are the white lines. A few days after my surgery I developed a UTI (they used a cath) and I couldn't get rid of it using cranberry so I went to the doctor and she gave me antibiotics for that and also diflucan (to help prevent yeast). I figured if the oral stuff was fungal that would clear it up and if it was bacterial (I was also having a bad taste in my mouth all the time) it would clear that up too. I took a diflucan and it seemed to help for a day or two, but then stop helping. I took another, but here it is. After I went to see the doctor I noticed when I was flossing one day that in addition to the white spots I also have a white spot on either side of my tongue. and then I tend to get a while line on either side of the tongue as well. I have a line on the middle inside of each cheek thats also white. The appearance of all of these varies day to day. I looked it up online and came up with frictional keratosis and hairy leukoplakia. But neither of those makes sense to me. I don't suck on my cheeks or bit my tongue or grind my teeth or anything like that so I don't understand why I would just suddently develope frictional keratosis. I also don't have any risk factors for the hairy leukokemia. I'm a young women who has a fairy health immune system (no HIV, no chance of it), no tobacco use, no drinking recently. I'm also not even sure what doctor to go to? Dentist? Primary care doctor? ENT? In addition to the mouth thing I have been feeling ill lately (sore throat, nausea off and on, low fever off and on, weak, zapped of energy). My surgeon said that anasthia and so forth affects people different and just give it time. I'm trying to eat on a regular basis and I'm drinking plenty of clear sugar free fluids since my mouth is pretty dry and I'm trying to do more and more around the house (but if I do too much I just start gagging- gross, huh). Any ideas? Maybe I should get some sort of tongue or mouth gaurd for when I sleep? My mouth isn't painful but parts of it are a little irritated and this swollen cheek feeling is annoying. This is starting to really get on my nerves! I'd appreciate input.
Hi

Did you find out what this is? Ive got the same problem

Closed Thread