It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

Kabuto1981 HB User
Unhappy Broken tooth-Help!

Just about two hours ago I was eating a razzle (a kind of candy that starts out sort of hard then turns to a gum like substance after you chew it) and half of one of my teeth broke off. It's the second tooth from the front in my upper right jaw. I looked at in in the mirror and whail the back of the tooth is in tact, half of the front of ther tooth has broken vertically from the gum line down. I already have two spaces in my mouth so I don't want another extraction, and besides I have a broken foot, so any extraction would have to wait untill my foot heals and I can walk again. It lookjs to me like most of the structure of the tooth is gone. Is there any way to fix this without an extraction?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Re: Broken tooth-Help!

You might be able to get an onlay. It is like a form fitted crown but they don't file down the tooth to nothing. I'm swearing off hard and sticky foods for good I just got an onlay for a broken tooth too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

Kabuto1981 HB User
Arrow Re: Broken tooth-Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita View Post
You might be able to get an onlay. It is like a form fitted crown but they don't file down the tooth to nothing. I'm swearing off hard and sticky foods for good I just got an onlay for a broken tooth too.
That would be nice, but would an onlay be able to replace the tooth structure that broke off? I've read that what I have is called a split tooth and that it usually requires extraction, can it still be saved? And if more little pieces come off, should I be worried?

Last edited by Kabuto1981; 05-16-2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added another couple questions

Old 05-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Re: Broken tooth-Help!

Yes it can replace the part in most cases. I would get a second opinion about extraction, but if your tooth is too damaged at the root or too much tooth is gone, I suppose extraction is the only option.

Also, I found out that usually mercury fillings over time cause the tooth structure to become compromised, which can actually cause weaker enamel and more instances of broken teeth!!!

So I'm going to talk to my dentist next checkup about getting mine replaced with composite fillings or inlays, both of which do not effect the tooth structure adversely. I'd like to avoid future broken teeth if at all possible.

Last edited by Jennita; 05-17-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Closed Thread