It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

laskalady HB User
My dental visit...scary!

Hello...
okay quick questions..

i went to a cosmetic dentist...whom just so happened to be under an hmo general dentist plan...so i went in for a regular exam and it turns out she wants to give me gum restorations!! and i mean i think my gums are okay but according to her they are borderline...not sure borderline what...but what could this mean? she recommended the restorations which costs a lot or a deep cleaning if i decided against this...i mean i get my teeth cleaned every 6 mos or so...im just not sure why i need gum restoration surgery or a deep cleaning....i have my doubts...also she said i needed all my wisdoms out... okay fine but they would do an extraction adn a bone graph??~!! i had no idea that extractions also required a bone graph...can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User
Re: My dental visit...scary!

Well first off do you have any pain from the wisdom teeth? My boyfriend just had 8 teeth extracted 4 of which where wisdom (he had really badly impacted molars) and they didn't do a bone graph. I also have never heard of gum surgery before. Is this place a very reputable place? You gotta be careful because it sounds like these people are out for money.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
(female)

laskalady HB User

TANKGIRL!
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY ... i have had some pain but im not sure if its from the splint not being adjusted...and besides it comes and goes...and also yes this lady is licensed...problem is you cant tell who is greed or not even tho they are qualified... everyone has been saying the same thing..i mean my gums dont bother me that much... and yes one of my wisdom teeth is growing in and it appears to be impacted...but she didnt even mention much about the extractions...the office manager was just going on and on about the deep cleaning....! they wont let me do anything until i get the deep cleaning..which also sounds suspicious...ive been through so much with with my tmj disorder and now this..that i really dont trust anyone...i found a really good tmj dentist whom i trust but my insurance only covers so much of his work then im left to pay out of pocket so i felt like if i go with her...i can get the other work done..but now shes just seems like she is into getting all this money ...i cant begin to say how distressing it is to not be able to trust a dentist. i think your right.... i have no idea how the office manager knew that i would need a bone graph....really wierd.... i dont think ill go back.

Last edited by laskalady; 05-22-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
(female)

laskalady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laskalady View Post
TANKGIRL!
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY ... i have had some pain but im not sure if its from the splint not being adjusted...and besides it comes and goes...and also yes this lady is licensed...problem is you cant tell who is greedy or not even tho they are qualified... everyone i've told about the visit has been saying the same thing..i mean my gums dont bother me that much... and yes one of my wisdom teeth is growing in and it appears to be impacted...but she didnt even mention much about the extractions...the office manager was just going on and on about the deep cleaning....! they wont let me do anything until i get the deep cleaning..which also sounds suspicious...ive been through so much with with my tmj disorder and now this..that i really dont trust anyone...i found a really good tmj dentist whom i trust but my insurance only covers so much of his work then im left to pay out of pocket so i felt like if i go with her...i can get the other work done..but now shes just seems like she is into getting all this money ...i cant begin to say how distressing it is to not be able to trust a dentist. i think your right.... i have no idea how the office manager knew that i would need a bone graph....really wierd.... i dont think ill go back.

Last edited by laskalady; 05-22-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
(female)

laskalady HB User

Quote:
TANKGIRL!
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY ... i have had some pain but im not sure if its from the splint not being adjusted...and besides it comes and goes...and also yes this lady is licensed...problem is you cant tell who is greedy or not even tho they are qualified... everyone i tell about this visit has been saying the same thing. that it sounds suspicious.i mean my gums dont bother me that much... and yes one of my wisdom teeth is growing in and it appears to be impacted...but she didnt even mention much about the extractions...the office manager was just going on and on about the deep cleaning....! they wont let me do anything until i get the deep cleaning..which also sounds suspicious...ive been through so much with with my tmj disorder and now this..that i really dont trust anyone...i found a really good tmj dentist whom i trust but my insurance only covers so much of his work then im left to pay out of pocket so i felt like if i go with her...i can get the other work done..but now shes just seems like she is into getting all this money ...i cant begin to say how distressing it is to not be able to trust a dentist. i think your right.... i have no idea how the office manager knew that i would need a bone graph....really wierd.... i dont think ill go back.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

I would definitely go get the impacted wisdom tooth taken care of. They probably do the same as they did for my boyfriend. He actually had no pain after his extractions and he had 8 done in one sitting it only took the guy 30 minutes! We were very amazed lol. I think if they actually cared they would be more concerned with your impacted tooth then the gum cleaning. What did they say that was necessary for? Also if you have a regular dentist you go to and trust as him about cosmetic dentistry and if there's someone he/she would recommend. ALL cosmetic dentistry is expensive and they will try to get you to get things done that aren't always necessary...it's more money for them. NEVER let your guard done and make sure you get it across to them what you want and don't want at the time. A good dentist will listen and not insist that you get things done.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
(female)

laskalady HB User

Quote:
TANKGIRL!
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY ... i have had some pain but im not sure if its from the splint not being adjusted...and besides it comes and goes...and also yes this lady is licensed...problem is you cant tell who is greedy or not even tho they are qualified... everyone i tell about this visit has been saying the same thing. that it sounds suspicious.i mean my gums dont bother me that much... and yes one of my wisdom teeth is growing in and it appears to be impacted...but she didnt even mention much about the extractions...the office manager was just going on and on about the deep cleaning....! they wont let me do anything until i get the deep cleaning..which also sounds suspicious...ive been through so much with with my tmj disorder and now this..that i really dont trust anyone...i found a really good tmj dentist whom i trust but my insurance only covers so much of his work then im left to pay out of pocket so i felt like if i go with her...i can get the other work done..but now shes just seems like she is into getting all this money ...i cant begin to say how distressing it is to not be able to trust a dentist. i think your right.... i have no idea how the office manager knew that i would need a bone graph....really wierd.... i dont think ill go back.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

The wisdom teeth should be a priority. Even if they are not grown in they can still be causing bone loss and decay of the tooth on front of them. Sometimes even causing the tooth in front to need extraction as well. Wisdom teeth are really too far back to be of any great use. As far as bone graft, I never saw this done in the 3 years I worked for an oral surgeon, even in older patients. See an oral surgeon for the extractions!! I can't tell you how many GP mistakes got sent to us.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
(female)

laskalady HB User

Thanks so much tankgirl and skyhigh-

I really didnt think that they should have kept insisting on that cleaning either. I am also glad that I have some confirmation that the bone graft thing doesnt sound right. I really don't trust these people now. I also explained to the dentist that I've been having pain my upper teeth ..on the opposite side of the where the tooth is growing in but she never really addressed it. She used dental jargon and allowed the office manager to explain dental procedures..as to where she is the dentist.
Do you guys know about how much extractions usually cost. I kind of want to know whats the higest amount any of you have seen as this might be out of my own pocket now b/c the oral surgeon that tmj dentist will recommend me to won't be covered by my insurance. Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
I really didnt think that they should have kept insisting on that cleaning either.
LL,

I went through the same thing with "root scaling and deep cleaning." He yammered ON and ON so I finally relented and let him do one quadrant, KNOWING I didn't need it. After about !) painful needles, he chipped a new front filling at the gumline and undercut a crown so that I am now having a problem with it and in general, the net effect is that my gum has receded a bit in that quadrant...a total nightmare. I told him "that will NEVER happen again."

I think this "deep cleaning and root scaling" is the latest money making gimmick.
My favorite part is that he would stick my gum with a sharp probe that would draw blood and he would say "See, your gum bleeds." After about the third time I said "Give me that probe and I'll make YOU bleed."
<I have not ever had anything but pink healthy gums without the slightest bit of tartar.>

I swear, I think this guy was under some sort of QUOTA system for "root scalings."

Part of the problem for dentists may be that since the era of fluoridated water, dentists are looking at less teenage mouths full of cavilties (like my generation had.) Without this lifetime annuity of fillings>> refillings>> re-re fillings>> crowns>>extractions>>bridgework>>>dentur es another cash cow must be found.

So now we must all be diagnosed with gum disease needing expensive invasive treatments otherwise dental incomes will start falling as the "filling generation" dies off.

An aside,
My dentist, a third year student said that his schooling (at a top notch dental school) are running him 100 LARGE a year.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-28-2007 at 04:39 AM.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
(female)

laskalady HB User

Lenin,

I think you're right!! I see I"m not alone in my doubts... I found it odd b/c the other dentist i saw 6 mos. ago...a dentist whom I do trust but only really use for tmj disorder told me he saw no need for a deep cleaning. She was really slick...she kept asking me about how often do you get your teeth cleaned?? so as to pick me ....i told her every 6 mos. She also kept poking at my gums with a sharp object constantly and of course they'll bleed. I am really with you when you say they have to make money somehow....i mean its gotten to the point where fillings and regular cleanings just isnt enough for them. Thanks so much for your post!

Closed Thread