It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

fdpty4 HB User
barodontalgia? tooth pain when flying

May 2004 I flew from Nashville to Detroit with no tooth pain, then from Detroit to Boston with no tooth pain, then from Boston to Amsterdam. About 20 minutes into the Amsterdam flight I had a shooting pain on my left first molar (top) and continued to have pains for several hours. The pain was similar to metal touching a filling, only like someone was just jabbing a metal fork into my tooth. It was very painful. This was the first time I ever had tooth pain while flying. After the pain in the first molar, the pain continues in what I would describe as radiating throughout the left side of my mouth. But there are jab like pains intermittently. Then went to London from Amsterdam. No pain. Also no pain on the flight back to Nashville from London. Was in London about 5 days.

May 2005 I flew from Memphis to Orlando with no tooth pain. No pain Orlando to Mem either.

September 2006 flew from Memphis to Vegas. About 20 minutes into the flight I had the same pain as on the Amsterdam flight. Was in Vegas about 3 days. No pain on the flight from Vegas back to Memphis.

December 2006 flew from Nashville to Denver. About 20 minutes into the flight I had the same pain as on the Amsterdam flight. Was in Denver 4 days. No pain on the flight from Den back to Nash.

May 2007 flew from Memphis to Denver. About 20 minutes into the flight I had the same pain as on the Amsterdam flight. Was in Denver 5 days. No pain on the flight from Den back to Mem.

This last flight I really tried to pinpoint my pain. Right after the 1st shooting pain the pilot announced we were now at a flying altitude of 34000 feet. However, on the way back home 20 minutes into the flight he said we were at 37000 feet.

Does anyone have any ideas? My dentist said I could have barodontalgia, but it is rare and he apparently doesn;t know a treatment for it. He also said I could have air in the tooth that first gets hit with pain from the last filling I had (which was around the year 2000). But he has no idea why it would hurt sometimes and other times it doesn't.

I'm thinking I just get used to an altitude after a few hours and my tooth adjusts.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be or has anyone else experienced this? And is there anything to be done about it? It hurts so much I break out in a sweat when I think of flying now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
(female)

pinktulip HB User
Re: barodontalgia? tooth pain when flying

Hi--This sounds as odd as all my problems.!!--My teeth pain started when I was flying too...like throbbing and jabbing...BUT mine did not go away. Does yours subside when off the plane?? If so, you are lucky--could be the altitude changes the blood flow in that area...???--
With all my problems, no one has mentioned barodontalgia--what is it???? Please let me know.
thanks

Old 06-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

fdpty4 HB User
Re: barodontalgia? tooth pain when flying

yes, it goes away after about 2 hours and apparently I've adjusted to the pressure enough so that there's no pain if I fly at least up to 5 days after the initial pressure change. Barodontalgia is tooth pain when flying or diving. It has to do with the change in ambient pressure. That's the extent of my knowledge about it.

Closed Thread