It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

StaceyLee HB User
Root Canal VS Pulling Tooth

Ok so I went to the dentist because of a toothache and sure enough I need to have a root canal or pull the tooth. She gave me the option and I opted for a root canal, but now I'm thinking to just pull it instead. I have a huge fear of the dentist, I'm thinking it will hurt less and be quicker and easiar to deal with, and also less dentist visits. Plus a couple family memebers who have had root canals say they had problems still and ended up pulling the tooth anyway later on. Can someone give me the pros and cons of each and if you think its better for a root canal or to pull it? It's a back tooth, like 1 or 2 from the back.

Also I am prescribed pennicillin for the infection...if I decide to pull the tooth, is it still necessary to take the pills?

Thanks so much in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Root Canal VS Pulling Tooth

Yes, you still need to take the pills. If you have the tooth pulled, then you are going to need to replace the tooth and maybe have a bridge. A root canal is much simpler and cheaper...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
(female)

Clem52 HB User

Yes, take all the pills, to the very last one. Stopping before the end of the dose is how antibiotic resistant bacteria develop.

If it is the very back tooth, you can probably have it pulled and not have to replace it. Yes, bridges and implants are expensive, but there is nothing easy or cheap about a root canal, especially if you need a crown as well. It will help some if you have dental insurance.

I personally opt to keep my teeth at all costs, even though I detest the idea of having work like that done. Ask for oral sedation if there is no nitrous.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I agree with taking the pills. The infection needs to be gone, or clearing up before they do anything anyway.

If it is a back tooth, I personally would say pull it. DH had a tooth pulled, not in the back, but close to it several years ago before I ever knew him. He never had a bridge, etc. and has done fine with it. None of his teeth have shifted at all and obviously, it is not noticable at all, so I would say pull it and then decide later if you want or need additional work done.

As for the fear, keep in mind that they will even numb you before they give you the shot no matter which procedure they do, so things are not nearly as bad as they used to be. You can also ask for Nitrus. It really helps and there are no after effects at all.

Nancy

Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #5
(female)

Junebug08 HB User

I was in the same position about 5 years ago. It was my very back tooth on the top and there was no question for me. I had it pulled and I never had a problem with it again. It actually left room for my wisdom tooth to grow in which is still there today with no problems! I would make my decision based on the placement of the tooth (and the pending hole). Oh, and yes, finish the pills. Nothing can be done so long as the infection remains. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
(female)

plc HB User

I was told that a root canal last about 5-6 years by my dentist. My husband had one done 4 yrs ago and believe it or not is having problems. I too was given the option to have the root canal or pull the tooth, it is in the back, I opt to have it pull, which is happening this friday. I'm alittle nervous, but I know I have no option

Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

If you have a root canal, it can last for years if you have a post and crown put over it. Also, I believe and I read it many places that if it is a back molar, it must be capped/crowned. It will last for years if taken care of.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
(female)

catholicgirl HB User

I would have it pulled. Formaldehyde is one of the toxic chemicals that is put in the root canaled tooth. It would be good to learn about the dangers of root canals and how they compromise the immune system. I speak from experience.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
(female)

Clem52 HB User

I'm not convinced that the little bit of formaldehyde used for an RC is dangerous--it will be rinsed and packed with other material, so the amount remaining should be trivial. (I thought they used bleach? Time for more research.) Nutrasweet is metabolized in the body to methanol and formaldehyde, but it is mostly considered a problem in huge quantities or in pregnant women. The chemicals they use to clean the canal should not be a major worry.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

During root canal, the endodontist or dentist will use an irrigant such as "RC Prep" which contains EDTA. EDTA is formulated with multiple compounds including formaldehyde. It is rinsed out of the canal prior to filling it.

If EDTA sounds familiar, it should, as it is used as a preservative in food products and cosmetics and by the dairy and beverage industry to clean stains from bottles. What little formaldehyde you may be in contact with from a root canal is so incidental considering you are ingesting it frequently.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
(male)

FoXpAwZ HB User

Id have it taken out...I have had bad experiences with root canals...

Closed Thread