It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User
Questions about Root Canals

Hi,

1. Do all root canaled teeth turn black?

I had a root canal done over a year ago. Couldn't be capped cuz he (the dentist) said there was a fracture in the root. it is filled/bonded. It is 4th tooth from the top front on lft side. A piece of the bonding had come off on the tongue side. He filled it in about a month ago and I feel a bit sharp edge on top. I would like to have him fix it but I am so freaking nervous over this tooth that I don't even want to touch it. However, I'm afraid that small filled in section will come of if it isn't filed.. I have a stinking feeling he made the crack during the root canal procedure last year. I had an abscess and he said he had to do a root canal. Before the root canal, he had done a filling in it 8 months or so earlier and I had gone to him 2X after that and told it it didn't feel just right. Then the x-rays weren't showing anything all looked ok??? 8 months later it abscessed and I needed a root canal. After all that......a crack. Couldn't post/crown it. Could the crack had been the cause of the abscess?

Someone I Know said they have a root canal in a tooth and I looked at it and it is pure white. Ithought a dead tooth gets brittle and turns black. She said it was not capped??????? Don't Root canaled teeth get very weak as well?

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Questions about Root Canals

No, they should not ever turn black. And you should be able to crown one afterwards if it is needed. Evidently from your narrative, you had a general dentist do the root canal. You should have seen an endodontist for that procedure. I'd find a new dentist and get another opinion on what needs to be done now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

I always thought a Root Canaled tooth was weak/dead and it would eventually turn colors? Also, I thought many dentists are able to perform root canals. I don't know, I don't think I ever want to go to the dentist again.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

God D, I know how you feel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Hey Rosie!

I think my problems and my teeth feel worse when I come back from the dentist. I have an appt. on Saturday. A filling he did last month came loose so last thursday I had to have it redone. 3 shots and pain later......now I have a tooth that he "built up" and it feels like it is smacking against the top tooth too much, that needs an adjustment and this darn root canaled tooth that is a very compromised tooth has a sharp top on the tongue side. I hate this Rosie.

How are you doing and feeling?

D

Old 07-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
(female)

catholicgirl HB User

dma you are 100% correct. A root canaled tooth is dead. Not only is it dead but it harbors bacteria that lives without air. Usually the bacteria is in the strep family, strepococcus for example. The bacteria mutates to other organs in your body.Root canls can wreak havoc on your immune system. Root canals are filled with fun things like formaldehyde

Last edited by moderator2; 07-13-2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting policy section titled "How to share information".

Old 07-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicgirl View Post
Root canals are filled with fun things like formaldehyde
I don't know where you got that information. Formaldehyde is not used in root canal procedures.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

Wouldn't you rather have a root canal than gaps in your teeth?
People talk so much about how bad root canals are. I needed to have one done last week and I was sooo upset; I was literally bawling my eyes out thinking about how bad this was going to hurt and how horrible my teeth are going to look. Got it done last Wednesday by my dentist. It was a breeze... absolutely no pain whatsoever during or after the procedure. He advised me to take IB or Tylenol, or any other pain killer the next couple of days if I felt any pain. Woke up the next morning feeling fabulous. I haven't had any pain whatsoever, no swelling either... I feel great. And though I don't have the permanent crown on yet, my tooth looks great and natural. It's not quite the shape and length that it was, but obviously because I don't have the crown on yet.

Jeez, making a big deal about root canals is pointless. They're really not that bad at all.

Last edited by MoonLight0; 07-15-2007 at 12:34 PM.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
(female)

catholicgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I don't know where you got that information. Formaldehyde is not used in root canal procedures.
What are the ingredients in formocrescol i.e. formaldehyde-creosote?

Old 07-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

I have no idea. And of what relevance is that? I have read at least 6 articles about root canal procedures and none of them mention formaldehydeor and derivative thereof as being used. Can you direct me to one that does?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 AM   #11
(female)

catholicgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I have no idea. And of what relevance is that? I have read at least 6 articles about root canal procedures and none of them mention formaldehydeor and derivative thereof as being used. Can you direct me to one that does?
Unfortunately I am afraid to answer you because I don't want to be banned. The information is available to anyone who looks for it. Sorry. I have read several books and many articles on why the use of the formaldehyde and the other chemicals used are dangerous. They effect your immune systems and cause systematic changes in your immune system.
There are many toxic chemicals that are used in other procedures as well. Alot of toxins are used in our dental care. They go into our mouths, it cracks me up that toxic substances are the best that in the year 2007 can be found to use.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

After a great deal more research I find that this appears to be an outdated procedure, only used these days by a small percentage of general dentists who persist in doing root canals rather than referring to an endo. Once again, just another reason to use an endo and check out your medical care.

FYI, it also seems to be used in root canals done on nonhuman primates, cats and dogs. Just wonder how many of those procedures are done a year?
(Not that I wouldn't take my cat for one if he needed it!)

Closed Thread