It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
(male)

Phenz HB User
4 root canals in the same tooth?

Hi, about a year ago one of my teeth broke and i went to the dentist who said infection had gotten into it and i needed root treatment. so i got the root treatment, as far as i can remember it went like this; (each treatment a week apart)

drill with temp filling

drill - put in antibiotcs - temp filling

still hurts: drill - clean out more of the nerve - put in antibiotics -temp filling

hurts less so i thought it was better - covers with permanent filling.

a week later is hurting again, not full on toothache but i'm still very aware of it etc so the entire procedure of drilling out my tooth, cleaning it some more with tiny files and covering it was repeated 3 or 4 times.

Should this be necessary? My tooth has been hurting ever since. for weeks i'll not even notice it but then something will set it off and it'll hurt for a few days. after that its fine... ususally. Now i'm in severe pain and contemplaiting having the tooth pulled becuase at this point i have an entire lack of faith in root canal treatment.

What options are available to me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
Re: 4 root canals in the same tooth?

I am not sure if this will help you or not, but I have had many teeth that needed to be retreated. Most of them have now been extracted. Finally found a great, new dentist who said that I must be the type of person who has little branches coming off of each root. These branches are not visible on modern x-rays, so the root canal is done, everything looks fine, but eventually one of these little branches becomes infected and the whole cycle begins again. I am afraid there are not many choices. This may or may not be the case for you, but worth asking about. There aren't many choices. You can either try having the tooth retreated or have it extracted. Don't live in pain however - simply not worth it and tooth pain is one of the worst pains there is. An endodontist will want to retreat, a dentist may want to extract as that is what each does. Try to get some educated opinions, but ultimately the choice will be yours. Let me know how you do and sorry for your pain. I know how awful it is.

glowing4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 05:38 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If your general dentist did this I would get a referral to an endodontist for his opinion. (that's who should have done it in the first place) Some teeth do have many roots but they should have done the whole thing in one visit. Yes, very time consuming and labor intensive but then you have aclear tooth and these problems shouldn't crop up after the fact.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

Traumatized HB User

Hello Phenz,

Hang on in there. Dental pain is something incredible. I have had ongoing problems for 2 years now. Everything started with my wisdoms and then a root canal gone wrong. Not everyone's body is made for root canals. There are two theories, one is pro root canal treatment and the other is against. In my case, I have to agree with the anti-theory. I have had three "perfect" root canals performed on three teeth and two have caused almost septic reactions and have been extracted. I am foolishly hanging on to the third. Root canals can cause heart problems, septicaemia, rheumatism etc. Your options are, keep playing the game and wasting money and hoping the tooth will "settle" and find out two years down the road that your joints are aching for no reason and end up pulling your tooth anyway, if it is not too late and the bacteria has not yet crept into your heart valves. Root canals are dirty business. A friend of mine with 3 root canals was convinced they had a "tennis" elbow for years. Finally, the root canalled teeth became so unbearable they were extracted and guess what? So did the tennis elbow. This individual was well into his 60s. I have had my blood tested for all sorts of viruses and what have you because I felt so crummy all the time. Deep in the back of my mind I knew that a foul taste and throb was coming from one of the rc teeth (done a year ago), so out of utter frustration I had it pulled and my rheumatism is gone and my enlarged spleen is also back to normal. I guess I am part of the anti-root canal group now from my own experience so my point of view is not very optimistic. If you feel ill, pull it. You will end up popping antibiotics like candy every time you feel the tooth acting up but it will never settle down if you are not the root canal "type." It is not worth losing your energy, zest for life, and life for a tooth, despite what all dentists say. It is strictly a business issue.
For now, keep rinsing with special mouthwash around the tooth to keep the bacteria to a minimum. I always found that helpful, especially once the gums around the rc teeth started to get affected. I could always literally feel my mouth becoming infested, especially when the weather was hot. Just frequent brushing kept things calm. Pain killers supposedly do diddly is there really is a bad infection in there. Try reading up on the anti-root canal and pro-root canal theories online. That will help you make your mind up.
Until then, keep rinsing and drink a lot of water to rinse the infection out of your body as well.
Take good care

Closed Thread